Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: what to do?

Triathlon training!

I'm practising for the London Triathlon at the end of July, so have been having some of my best training days while the weather has been calm. Ideal for the cycling, which is not much fun when its blowing and you want to be at the beach sailing!

I am definitely getting to the point that we really need some good wind. But it doesn't look like that's going to happen for at least another week

This is gonna sound funny, but if you are at a lose end and there is no wind/surf and this is your favourite hobby, why not treat it as if it was your job ie spend 8 hours focusing on windsurfing... getting organised for the next time, rigging your sails, ploughing through the internet for anything windsurfing related or whatever.

Writing on the inside of the luff tube the exact place to set your boom and extension is a good one.

Don't be afraid to be really geeky anything you can do to reduce rigging time is really helpfull.

There are a never ending amount of things you can do, recreational attention span is about half an hour but when you go to work you are expected to focus, mainly on making someone else rich, for 8 hours.

So why not spend the whole day making yourself a better windsurfer, prentend you are a pro if it puts a smile on yer face.

Cheers

Julian

If there is a little bit of wind on the beach you can practise rig transitions, rig up as per usual, take your fin off and practise duck transitions, sailing backwinded, clew- first etc

When I go to the beach, it is usuallly to windsurf based on the weather forecast, so that's all I bring with me (er, I mean my windsurfing kit, not the forecast).

However, when I go on a summer camping trip, inevetibly it isn't very windy, and that's when I need the other toys

My main lightwind alternative is a power kite combined with a cheap mountain board for bombing along the beach on. My kite works in about 9-16mph of wind, which is quite a good alternative to windsurfing - as soon as it gets too windy to kite, out comes my windsurfing kit. You need a fairly big sandy beach for kite boarding though - not really suitable for most south coast spots

I also have a skimboard - this is kind of a final resort for me. Yes - I have seen all the extreme coverage of skimboarding but have not seen anybody in this country get anywhere close. Seems to be a sport designed for waves that break near the shore ? The best I can do is stand up for 10 seconds or so....!! Ah well, keeps you fit anyway

And of course I have a surfboard - but you will need to be on a proper surfing beach - not much good for most windsurfing beaches - unless you windsurf in Cornwall or Devon.

I find all these things are good for keeping you otherwise occupied, especially if you are the sort of person who can't really sit around for more than half an hour before getting a bit twitchy...I guess quite a few of us windsurfers all like that ?