Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Was wondering your thoughts and theory of mast track setting? Do you put it forward for big sails (c of effort further back) to balance the board / sail combo or do you wnat it further back to reduce wetted area?

Also tips on how to close the slot might be useful...

Jimmy, Start off with the sail in the centre of the mast track. If the board is having a real battle getting onto the plane, start moving it back at half inch intervals until it feel right. If you feel like the board is bucking up and too lively, move it forwards in incaments of half inches.

Wezza

Why do you want to close the slot?

In the dim and distant past the mast foot was so far forward that the sail had to be raked back a mile to bring the centre of effort over the planing area of the board (centre of lateral resistance) once you were on the plane. These days it isn't necessary as the sail is already well back, and would just luff the board. Unfortunately it is one of those canards that keep going long after they cease to apply. As for mast foot position, try it and see. My guess is that you won't notice much difference (if any) but if you do, then pick whichever position has the effect you like. Either way there are a million more important things to concentrate on.

I have been told that most modern boards over 110L should have the mast track at a position 135cm from the back of the board and as the boards get smaller the mast track moves back a little from this position no matter what sail is being used. The theory being that the position where you stand on any board is more or less constant to the mast foot and thus not affecting your sailing stance between different boards and rigs.

As for closing the slot this is not now required as the sail is now designed to be more upright and in this position it produces the most power.

In theory, given thate the CoE on most modern sails is 1/3 of the way from the mast to the clew, you should move the mast track a bit further forward with bigger sails. This is so that your can still hang from the CoE using the same stance.

So if you started on a sail with a boom setting of 250, and then moved to one that had a boom setting of say 262, then the difference (262-250=12) divided by 3 (12/3=4) is what you should move the mast forward by.

In practise the center of the track always seem fine to me. I don't vary that much from it. Maybe 3cm forward of center for biggest sail the board can carry, 3cm back of center for the smallest.

Yes, you can really get bogged down with this track position thing.

It IS one variable but boom height, harness line length and your
    own height will have far more effect on your body stance which, in turn,
    will affect your eventual speed. Stick the mast track in the middle an
    just go sailng. Perhaps half an inch forward for bigger sails, half an
    inch back for small sails..
    Your overall goal should be to feel the power of the rig driving you
    forward. Once you are in the straps this power is harnessed to drive
    through the skeg. As you go faster the lift from the skeg starts to
    push back and you can rake the rig back further and fly at greater
    speeds with less board in the water. Your ability to drive the board via
    a good sailing 'stance' is the key to all of this. Mast foot position is a
    minor consideration on a modern board.
    Now back in the UK.

Ok, so a question... stance for speed?

Currently sail with a relatively high boom (between shoulder and chin), and about 24 ish lines.

Fly upwind, but once I've turned downhill for a 'speed run' it's, well, fecking frightening.... sail on a large lake that builds a good messy steep chop so the board's hopping everywhere, and, once I'm pointing more downhill I feel more on-top of the board than pushing off it... but the rig's still trying to 'lift' me up and forwards.

Tried extending away, tried dropping the hips. All feels very uncontrolled whatever.. managed a paltry 27.4mph (nearly 25 kts) last night, 7m, carve 121.