Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Chop Hop

Hello

I've never done any kind of jump but now wen i get 2 a certain speed feel like the board will come out of the water wen i go over some steepish chop!! Just wonderin is it best to try and jump it or is there away of gainin more control of the board wen goin over it??

Any suggestions welcome

depends on weather or not you want to jump (its more fun if you do jump from it)

If you keep loose and flexible legs, while your upper body remains still as possible, you can soak up a huge chunk of chop without leaving the water and still go very fast. I'm expert at this - but very poor at intentionally jumping. You'll find you can jump and get reasonably high just by staying reasonably 'tight' and letting a more-or-less head-on ramp launch you with no change to your blasting stance, a slight downwind turn in the air and back to flexible and you won't spin out. I'll leave it to those who can do it properly to explain the bending/springing of the back leg to combine 'pop' with chop for a hop.

Quote Originally Posted by Yatesy
    Hello

I've never done any kind of jump but now wen i get 2 a certain speed feel like the board will come out of the water wen i go over some steepish chop!! Just wonderin is it best to try and jump it or is there away of gainin more control of the board wen goin over it??

Any suggestions welcome
    Ride it as if you were standing astride the fulcrum of a see-saw to stay in contact.

Like More and Pete said but I'll add my bits to it too.

Weight the harness more and lean out to windward to remove some weight from the board. And keep your legs ready to absorb th echop like shock absorbers. The weight the harness bit will keep your body from cycling up and down with the chop. You will find the board and rig are bouncing along but you will be in perfect control. I can soak up 2-3ft swells at a 45-50 degree angle to their direction by doing this.

If you want to jump, stand tall and spring off the tail like an ollie. Lift slightly with your front foot, do the point front foot bit and pull your back leg under you (this back leg part is what helps to keep from spinning out). Just make sure to Stomp the tail dowm if the nose looks like it wants to point into the water. Speed is your real friend here, the more you have the less you need to work for air...it just happens.

J

What most people fail to grasp is that each lump of water pushes at the board as you ride over it. So when sailing in chop you have the choice of using the lumps either to help you sail fast or else to get airtime. Most people bumble along oblivious, and then complain about bouncey conditions. As has already been described, for those who just want to blast along, you can use your legs a shock absorbers.

But there's a better way.
    You can see each lump of chop as an obstacle or as an opportutunity. If you want to sail fast then try to snake through the chop, always steering through gaps and this should keep you heading downhill. Where you can't avoid chop but don't want to jump or stop then lift your feet as you hit the lump and this counteracts the push the wave gives to your board. The board then glides on without stopping.
    This technique then gives you the speed to hit a bigger bit of chop for a jump. And here, you then push down with your weight as you hit the wave - pushing with your feet against the upward lift of the wave to harness its power. The board then pops. Once you clear the water, its usually best to lift your feet again and this levels out the board in the air, allowing you to glide forwards and so stay in the air longer .
    Now back in the UK.

Another hint is to make sure you pull up with your front foot as you push it forwards, this angles the board so that the wind catches under the windward side giving you more airtime where as the opposite will slam the board back down to the water!