Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hi all!

Yesterday started to learn jibing.
    See http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=2313586560609328520& hl=en
    or http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYU992IL2mo

Please, point me my mistakes.

Mistral Explosion 144 + North Sails Natural 7.5 (don't have smaller yet )

No mast foot preasure, rig far too close to your body (try straightening your front arm) Rig watching, try looking where you want to go...... Also, try sailing further downwind before you start the carve, this way you have less distance to turn....

You are also leaning back.....

Kimax... I forgot to mention, if this was one of your first tries then I dont think it will be long beofre you crack them.......

Not a bad gybe at all, until the foot switch where you appear to take the pressure off the inside rail and put your weight at the back, rather than getting your old front foot on the inside rail and stepping well forward with your new front foot. In summary you need to keep the board carving for a bit longer in order to complete the turn.

I'd also agree that you need to extend your arms throughout to keep the sail further away from you.

2windbrit2: Thanks, this is the second session of jibing. But I've read a lot of theory before.

1. MFP - roger that, next time will apply by hands. But both of them or only front hand?
    2. Rig is too close - yes, have noticed this myself already. This really seems to bring unbalance.
    3. "further downwind" - not sure, but will try it out.

Thanx a lot.

It was all looking really good, but to me seems like you forget to let go of the sail. I would say that you could have started the rig flip just as your board nose was about to cross in front of the buoy. Instead you hang on, backwind the sail, go clew first, stall the carve and power yourself backwards into the sea. You should be flipping when the board is downwind, not when its already on the new tack and side on to the wind.

You really are close, just let go with your back hand much earlier, when the weight has gone.

"Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

You need to bear away first, get your speed up, and only then go for the carve. Your turn at the mo. is just too tight.

Also you need to have more weight forward into the turn - you are hanging back. Having a straight front arm will help you get more MFP to bring the front of the board down and engage more rail (this will also help with gybing in chop). I never think about pushing down with the front hand - its about loading the sail up so that it does the work.

The arc though is soooooh important as without the increase in speed you won't get planing gybes. Try sailing on a broad reach in the gybe ready position to get comfortable with this (I think Bornhoft calls it Super 7?). Start to feel the increase in speed and then turn.

Superb second session attempt though!

EDIT: Try following someone who can do planing gybes and see what arc they take.