OK, I've been forward looping for about a year now and they are getting pretty consistent - but they are the wham, bam thank you ma'am type of loops where you take off, sheet in straight away and land all in mega quick time. I've no concept of what happens from take off to landing, but they seem to work!

I'm ready to take them to the next level and to start stalling them (I think). Here's a link to one of Ricardo that I'd like to do (you need to remove the space in b oardseeker and then go to Forward Loop and find the stalled ones - file is campello_stalled_fwd512k.wmv):

http://www.b oardseekermag.com/moves.../index_022.htm

So is there anything I need to know apart from wait until the top of the jump before initiating? Is it still best to do them on a broad reach? At what point in the air do you push the rig forward to start the board bearing off downwind - on the way up, or only when you are at the top of the jump?

All help much appreciated!

Paul

You need nuts of steel to make the transition from the fast low forward to a stalled one with height...

I have found that learning to spin loop on flat water is a great place to start..

???? yep, doesn't seem to make sense eh? the key to a spin loop is the type of rotation.. i.e. not end over end! you are trying to pop good height, then extend the rig across to windward before sheeting in, this enables you to float round, almost in a flat spin... crack this, and your stalled forwards will come from this.

You want to kill a lot of your forward momentum, gain maximum height, & kind of spin loop at the apex, this results in a controlable landing (of sorts) where you kinda float down.

Doing a forward end over end at full speed will result in lots of bails, over rotations on landings, and generally pain, through hitting kit & water at speed.

good luck! I haven't got these fully dialed, but nailing the odd one or two with a controlled soft landing is a real buzz!

Thanks Redeye - are you telling me that I'm going to need even bigger nuts? I thought I was over the worst bit.

Your advice is good and makes perfect sense.

At the moment the difference between me doing an end over end (very scary and unpredictable landing) and a more relaxed horizontal one is how much I bear away. So as you say the next step is to get the rig forward to do the bearing away.

But it's finding the time to do this as it really does happen so quickly. I guess its only time on the water that will begin to slow this move down in my head. Any tips on how I get that rig forward (apart from front hand by harness line and back hand down the boom) - what goes through your mind (clean advice only please)?

Ok, when I spot a suitable ramp, I concentrate on gaining height, I tend to set my hands before take off, so that the front hand is just in front of the lines, and the back hand is way back, but I am not thinking sheet in, if anything, I am slightly sheeted out (but not much).

I take off quite close to the wind (not bearing off that much at all) & project the board up & forward on takeoff, back leg tucked up, at this point I am allowing the power in the sail to generate lift & take me to the apex, Im trying not to sheet in too hard yet, but enough to use the power to get the lift.

Nearing the apex, I am still pushing my front leg forward, & projecting my leading hip down wind, twisting the hips & bearing the board off wind.

I still havent sheeted the sail in yet... but I have more or less hit the point of no return... this is the apex of the jump & the scariest point... I bail alot here!

Now the spin loop practice comes into play.... I don't want an end over end rotation! so I draw my front hand and arm across my body to windward, and try to remain quite tucked up...

Time to pull the trigger, I look back & sheet in hard, If I have kept a windward rotation, this will feel powerful but smooth & you feel like you are controling your kit round, looking back should help you spot your landing, you may have to sheet out a little for your landing.

...If i am going too end over, the rotation is violent & often I start a 2nd rotation... no where near enough for a double, but a catapult on landing (nose first into the water) is likely.

Like I said, I hanen't got these fully dialed, But I think I am understanding through trial & error, what work & what doesnt..

Good luck & let us know how you get on....

Thanks redeye. I will let you know!