Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CATAPULTING!

Hi,

I've just bought my first short board ( bic tecno E 135L, 69cm wide).
    As well as being my first crack at a short board it is also my first board ever.

Usually hire short intermediate boards ( that have a centre board that I don't really use). I can plane, use the harness and am working on getting both my feet in the straps.

Anyway, there's my intro. Now the question, Catapulting!
    Wanted a description of what causes it and how to avoid it ( obviosuly not complelelty as it sounds like quite good fun).

Thing is it has never happened to me, So would also like to know if this would be due to the fact that it is more common on short boards? or is more common when using the straps? Or any other reasons why I wouldn't have succeeded in achieving one?

Cheers

agent_bozo

Catapulting is where the sail pulls you over when you are hooked in, generally because the sail had power and you weren't set up correctly to handle it. I wouldn't say it's fun as you can end up landing on the mast or boom (ouch) and still be attached to the rig! Avoid it by stance and technique plus not being overpowered.

remeber to sheet in hard when its happening to prevent damaging the nose.

(traditional advice on this forum)

your time will come Agent Bozo. Its great fun... trust me you'll know it when it happens, you'll be happily hooked in one minute then a gust will hit you and you'll feel a swift tug from your harness and the next thing you know you're over the top and swimming, hopefully you'll not smash yourslef on your mast and you'll come up laughing.

CATAPULT:The result of the sail being overpowered pulling you violently over the front of the board.

There are 2 different reason this can happen

(1) sudden gust of wind coming over from the back of the board hitting the sail

(2) Instant decrease of the board speed.

A board with a low shoulder will slow down as it drop down the chop this will increase the power in the sail and pull you forward.Bad stance can also be a reason for this. A lively board can rail to leeward and stop,bad board trim.

So you need the right board and rig to suit your skill in the right condition. Any could get catapult but it is common with begginer. It is rear when you have improve your skill so keep sailing ,put water miles under your feet (tow)

One of the biggest things that helped / reduced my catapulting, was applying downhaul tension - more downhaul tension and then some more. What it does is bring the centre of effort down the sail and slow shortening the moment arm. In non-physics speak, you won't feel as much power on the top of the sail.

Oh yes, one other thing. You will always catapult at some stage or another until you're really good. Just remeber to try and turn your back as you fly through the air. It stops your harness hook going through the sail. (Though this can give awesome bruises from the mast and boom. Bruises heel for free. Sail repairs don't

Best advice i can give is to look upwind, when you see a gust coming accross the water be prepared before it hits you, adjust you stance so it doesn't catch you on your toes! drop your body with a bent back leg and use your front foot a brace to direct the increased power into the board.