Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CATAPULTING!

Also get into the straps quickly!

It is technically possible to catapult whilest in the straps, but if that happens just claim it as a forward

I got catapulted a few weeks ago while trying to learn to use the harness, I landed on the mast and it wasnt much fun. I have found it has knocked my confidence alot when it comes to useing the harness

I thought I stopped getting catapulted until some time in July when I was sailing very close to shore trying to get my cousin to take pictures of me. I don't know if I hit the beach, or if I just catapulted because it happened so fast I can't remember. All I remember is ending up with my left wrist on the mast with the rest of my body bearing down on my wrist. I thought I sprained my wrist, but it still kills, and now I have to visit the fracture clinic... They still haven't told me whether it's fractured or not, so I've continued windsurfing!
    Someone mentioned it earlier... To stop myself catapulting, I always try to maintain a low centre of gravity, and also look upwind to anticipate any gusts. Maybe I did hit the beach, cause I was looking too much upwind!

yeah I hate shallow water, looks just like the deep stuff

Hit the sandbank at Hayling on Friday at full tilt and am still sporting a bruised belly (), that one really hurt, I had to remove the harness for 5 mins and get my breath back. Couldn't eat that night as I felt so internally battered. better now though

Vic1 - Yes that is gonna happen as you're learning harness technique, as said watch upwind and you'll see the gusts coming at you - Keep low (really sink into the harness) and try being further back on the board and you'll be ok..

The thing that turned me from helpless catapult victim to planing in the harness was to really concentrate on driving with the front foot and comitting weight into the harness. Get into the super 7 stance - sink low, with front leg almost straight with toes pointing forwards towards the front of the board, back leg well bent. Hook in and as you feel the pull of the sail, your front leg should resist it. Once you get going a few times you get more confidence to commit to the harness early and it all starts to come together.

A bad habit that I had was to sheet out when hit by a gust to spill power. This slows the board down, meaning the sail pulls harder and also moves your bodyweight forward, meaning that the next gust takes you over the front. Hang on as much as you can - as soon as the board starts to move the pressure on the sail reduces and things get easier.

Also, as others have said, make sure you have enough downhaul. I thought that I was putting enough on, but when looking at the pros sails on the beach at Hayling, I realised that I still wasn't using enough. Ask someone where you sail to take a look (choose someone who's been ripping it up on the water and is very competent).

The constant catapulting stage can be very dispiriting and physically exhausting, but as someone who got through it about a year ago I can assure you it is completely worth it in the end

Have to agree with Grable - sheeting out is a really bad habit and one I 'm still occasionally guilty of if I fluff getting into the rear strap and it all goes wrong.

Don't think of catapults as fun - try to avoid them as

a) they're a sign you're doing something wrong

b) you could get hurt, badly

c) you could break the nose of your board/punch a hole in it/crush it.

Pray for the wind

To avoid putting a hole in the board would it be worth investing in a Jez's knob?