Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: CATAPULTING!

Quote Originally Posted by vic1
    To avoid putting a hole in the board would it be worth investing in a Jez's knob?
    Most people say not to as they can cause the mast track to be ripped out of the board. I havent used one so can't really comment, but it may be worth the meagre investment of getting a boom bra? That and sheet in as you feel your self going over the front!

The trouble is that with most modern'ish kit, the boom end misses the nose of the board in a catapult because it's too high - any damage is done by the mast hitting the deck. Therefore boom bra's aren't a lot of use.

I bought one of those bras that has an additional padded bit below it that cliups to the mast, but even this is too high and misses the nose. Idealy you need something a foot or so below the boom, and I haven't seen anything conmmercially like this.

After smashing the nose of my JP Freestyle, I bought one of those padded surfboard traction pads, cut it down and fixed it to the nose. I managed to find one in the same white and gray of the board, so it almost looks as if it's meant to be there - and I've caused no more damage despite some fairly heavy wipeouts.

Nick

this has been discussed before

you can put a mast ext protector onto your mast below the boom but i don;t like this option as i hold on to that part of the mast quite a lot in transitions

your option of the foam on the nose is the best one in my opinion, it should come as standard on all boards. no disadvantages only advantages

I think the fanatic skate already does

The disadvantages are that the board can split underneath the pad and you don't see it, and it slowly takes on water. I know someone that this happenned to!

After a few catapults you know when you are part the point of no return. Think "hold on on to the boom". This will stop the rig flying away out of control. The rig will at as a bit of a parachute as you come forward.
    Also, even as you improve, you should get catapulted occasionally. It is easy to stop any chance of a catapult by putting to much weight into the harness, but this chokes the rig and slows you down. Stand up a bit and sail on "the edge" for more speed, manouverability and feel for the balance of your equipment.

yeh

fair point

Quote Originally Posted by Birdman
    The disadvantages are that the board can split underneath the pad and you don't see it, and it slowly takes on water. I know someone that this happenned to!
    I think this is more likely with the JP-style hard nose covers. With these there is little absorbtion of the energy from impact, with a result that the damage still happens underneath the cover. The best solution is a dual-density foam pad - tougher on the outside for longevity, and softer inside to absorb and dissipate the impact energy.

Some of you might remember that I looked into producing these commercialy last year, but the variety of nose shapes made it pretty much impossible to produce something that did the job properly and was universal to most boards, so I gave up.