Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

What is the consensus for gybing in 40 knots?

Flag the sail, footsteer round until you are pointing slightly upwind and sheet in carefully?

What works for you.

Assuming a 3.7 sail, 75 litre waveboard, choppy waves and a 75kg rider.

Use the waves to gybe off, you can use the momentum of the wave to give you the board speed clew first. Then when your ready and in the footstaps on your new tack flip the sail.

I actaully find this easier than gybing in messy chop as you seem to have all the time in the world once your on the wave/swell.

An other alternative is to slam gybe it by sticking your back foot behind the back strap and press down hard causing the nose to spin around on the spot.

If all fails jump in and spin it round

Agreed on the outside use the face of a wave to keep your momentum going, but dont let yourself get stuck clewfirst, flip early and keep carving round until you meet up with the sail again.

Generally, I think that you need to keep up board speed so that the sail remains light in your hands. As soon as you start slamming and "flagging" you are going to be battered. For the inside gybe., look for a nice flat bit of water between waves and gear up mentally for a fast gybe. You need to dump the power by oversheeting the sail. If its really honking I do this first, rather than bearing off first. Sheet in with the back hand and straighten the front arm. In extreme case, rake the rig to the back of the board for a split second to spill the wind, then carve your arc. The faster and tighter the better, but the theory holds good for a drawn out arc. Keep the rig low to the water, front arm straight, rear elbow crooked, leaning slightly forward.

Then you need to flip the rig and that should be an effortless float around, but will take practice!! You can sort of scoop it round and do a step gybe thing, but I favour strap to strap when its that windy. Dont over rotate the turn, heading upwind during the flip will leave you vunerable, sheet in and head off on a broad reach before tightening up onto the new line.

"Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Quote Originally Posted by ronnie

What is the consensus for gybing in 40 knots?

Flag the sail, footsteer round until you are pointing slightly upwind and sheet in carefully?

What works for you.

Assuming a 3.7 sail, 75 litre waveboard, choppy waves and a 75kg rider.
    Aint many folk who really can get round in that much wind and in the sort of water state that results. You really have to pick your moment to even think about footing off into it.

This was going to be a long diatribe, but I'm now disturbed.. sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Graemef
    I'm now disturbed.. sorry
    Yup

very aggressive oversheeting ... front arm straight, back hand down the boom and crank it in!

Super Moderator

Great answer gmac - really helpful. It bugs me that all the training videos show you how to gybe in easy flat water conditions, never how to gybe in lumpy overpowered south coast conditions.