Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I just got a new board, a lot smaller than I've been sailing to date, only thing is I spent more time in the water, than sailing it on my first outing. Does anyone have any tips on how to prevent the thing from 'luffing up' in moderate wind (f4-5). I seem to have to force the sail forward at an uncomfortable angle to sail across the wind and trying to bear away is proving to be a near impossibility. Something to do with the position of my feet, I wonder, or the anlge at which I'm holding the sail across the board? Any tips would be gratefully received. Thank you

Rob A

Rob - Had the same problem every so often myself after dropping down to a smaller board last weekend, one of the suggestions I had was to make sure my back foot was not too far back on the board as this will cause the 'luffing up'. Worth checking your feet position in these sort of conditions and also make sure your front foot is pointing forward.

Currently retired to do more windsurfing before the body says NO!

Move the mast base forward in the track?

Seems to be quite common, I certainly remember it.

Usually because of too much weight on your back foot, try and concentrate on pushing through your front foot. Make sure your not pulling too hard with your back hand as people tend to naturally push against their back foot to compensate

Search the forum. Plenty of good advice on this subject.

! Dont move the mast foot to solve this. The mastfoot and boom height are used to trim the boards waterline when on a plane. And luffing up is due to going too slow.

Stay forward on the board until it has picked up some speed, then you move back a little, let it pick up more speed ... and so on. Only when realy cranking you should be at the very back of the board, and be able to use the footstraps.

Are you keeping the board flat across its width? If you are inadvertently sailing with the windward rail dipped the board will steer upwind.

Smaller boards do tend to want to luff when you first get on them but shouldn't once planing. (This is why you beachstart off the wind).

Are you holding onto the boom too far forward, are your lines too far forward?

To follow on from Old Pete, consider loosening your straps a little. This will help you get your feet further inboard so you dont overload the windward rail. Anyway, keep trying, you will automatically progress to a more upright mast and lighter foot placement in a short time. Ask someone at the beach to watch what you are doing wrong, they'll soon spot it.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."