Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Regular/Goofy

I'm finding that I sail better on port than starboard.

In fact I'm struggling to get in the straps properly on starboard whilst I can sail comfortably in the straps and harness on port.

The only reason I can think of (my harness lines are the same on both sides) is that after years of skateboarding I'm much happier with my right foot as the back foot. Does this make sense? are there any other snowboarders/skaters who have this?

makes perfect sense read this months boards, if it helps try heading up wind slightly to get in the foot staps dont know why it helps but it made things alot easier for me when iwas learning

I'm not convinced by the regular/goofy thing. I reckon the venue you sail at makes far more of a difference. South coast sailors are notoriously bad at port tack sailing and if the majority of sailors are regular, then they should have no problem jumping on port. It's more to do with the direction waves and chop hit you from. I can jump well on starboard, which is switch stance for a regular. If I tried switch stance jumping on a snowboard, I'd end up in a plaster cast!
    Trying not to work too hard.

I'm with you there, gutted. For surfing and martial arts I'm definitely regular stance, but I sail better on starboard and tack better from port to starboard. Although I only really sail from the S Coast, Esso Beach is one of my regular spots and it's slightly port-tack biassed in the prevailing SW.

I'm still no nearer understanding why after reading the article.

Another thing I've wondered is if I can improve my weaker tack by some sort of land-based exercises. Any ideas?

I'm regular stance on a snowboard and surfboard but prefer starboard tack for jumping as this was the tack I spent most time jumping on.
    I can gybe equally badly on both tacks.

I'm right handed but shoot a bow left handed, am right footed but crap at kicking a football with either foot which is fine as all footballers are poofters.

The first 'sliding' sport I tried was windsurfing followed by snowboarding and the first time I tried that I had no idea and just went with what was on the board- which just happened to be regular. ( I think, got a photo of the day somewhere- 1986 at Glenshee on a Circle One powder board....no steel edges or anything fancy.)
    I've never thought of windsurfing as a directional thing like surfing or snowboarding-both of which I cant do 'the wrong way'...

I'll throw a spanner in the theory too, as I am regular footed in skateboarding and surfing but prefer starboard (goofy) tack windsurfing, especially in overpowered, gnarly conditions, and when going into really powered up gybes on that tack too.