Thread: Flakas!

Hi guys,

I believe this is the next trick to learn and i was wondering if anyone has any helpful tips to crack it. I think that the best option is to carve downwind until the sail goes light then throw the sail forward and slightly windward and while bringing the sail across pop the board out and kick round but keep over the board, and then land with your front arm straight. Is this about right? If anyone has some good tips please reply

Cheers

Some tips that helped me learn are:

When bearing away slide your front and back hands further down the boom , your front hand just before the harness lines and the back hand in nearly forward loop position. This helps when you're throwing the sail which you should just slice into the wind while aiming to dig the nose, dont push the sail into the wind just slice it until you start sliding backwards.

Also when popping the board up you should twist your hips in the direction you want to go bend your knees slightly and really concentrate on digging the nose, this is the frustrating but as if the nose doesn't catch you wont rotate and it just looks like a warpy jump.

Oh and dont hesitate while trying Flakas! It's as important as in forward loops that you commit to the move or you will just end up crashing and not going anywhere fast.

Simon

Hi Simon,

The part with twisting and throwing the hips seem to be the part i am missing out. Do you find it easier to do a flaka in lighter or strong winds ?

Cheers

Finne

It's alot easier when you are just nicely powered , if you are over powered getting the nose in without crashing or just whipping out too quickly is difficult. Having too little power can get very frustrating too as getiing the pop right can be tricky. theyre gorgeous to do once you start getting them.

Simon

Hi simon,

Thanks for the replies, I bet they feel good when you get one! Will put the hip thrust to use next this weekend hopefully

Cheers