Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

ok, I want to try fishing off the back of a long board. Andy hinted that now is the season. I know I need a piece of string and a hook, but can we establish a system that might work. Input from the forum fishies required.

First questions:

When is prime time?
    Where is best?

"Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Mackerel are the most stupid fish on the planet. Anytime is good mackerel time.

We tend to see them shoaling close to the beach/sea walls around here in the early evening and then we can just pull them out by the bucket load.

Quote Originally Posted by gmac
    When is prime time?
    When the fish are hungry.....

Quote Originally Posted by gmac
    Where is best?
    Where the Fish are in the water......

Got you EU quota allocated have you ?

I've got an old spinning rod tucked away somewhere - could be fun to use it while there's no wind.

Are the mackeral shoals showing yet? Does anyone know any good south coast spots where you can catch them from the shore? My kids might be interested if we could catch some and bbq them on the beach.

Mmmm, mackerel (a must underappreciated fish).

I've not fished much since I was a kid, but yes, mackerel time was 'when they arrived' (shoals around from round about now to late autumn) and when they did they would take pretty much anything. I would have thought a mackerel spinner would be the best thing to use, which could be just about any spinny shiny thing of the right sort of size to fit a mackerely mouth.

Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Just one spinner, or one of those lines with multiple side bits? What about reeling it back in? I dont really want a rod mounted on the back but presumably not good enough just to tie off some fish line to the back strap?

EDIT - ah, there's no straps on the board.

"Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Isn't the Mackerel run a little bit later in the year? I'm pretty sure Bass should be a target for early summer. As previously mentioned it IS possible for fishing virgins to hook into one of these beauties, however they aren't quite as dumb as Mackerel and they come along in lower numbers.

You'll see the Mackerel during summer as they make the surface 'boil', and if there are loads of seabirds dive bombing the sea the fish won't be far away.

Spinners good for bass, feathers, spinners good for mackerel.