Page 3 of 26 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by gmac
    Nope, Graeme, this will be a solo mission and I want to be trawling the line to get the spinners spinning.
    Are you planning on planing? You may tire the poor fish out.

Quote Originally Posted by galeforce8
    so your out sailing and you catch 20 mackrel, then where do you put them ?
    Think ferret legging. Cycle clips on your summer suit should stop them escaping around your ankles.

Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

surely you want some of these.......

i'll provide the BBQ if you provide the fish!

Hopefully if I get 10 on the line a la Billyboy, then they can tow me back to shore fin first!

So its non-planing stuff, but will I still need a pretty big weight to hold the line down?

"Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

What you want are mackerel feathers.

Mackerel are a) a bit dim and b) very greedy, so they will latch on to the feathers and hang on until you shake them off. Means you wont have any nasty hooks to catch in you, your sail or passing dolphins.

You could then store your catch by buying a big shark-sized hook (or make one out of stiff wire) and hooking all the fish you've caught through the upper lip in a bunch and trailing them from the rear footstrap. Only danger is that your trailing catch might act as bait for something rather larger...if you start to move backwards despite planing flat out, cut the string holding your bunch of mackerel.

Hi Gmac - think youre a bit ahead of yourself.

Mackerel (certainly in Wales and SW) dont really shoal till about June and then move inshore in numbers in July / August ie summer proper. Thats not to say you wont catch them earlier (from mid April) but peak summer hols period is the best.

PS
    You can definately catch them with a few feathers/spinners on a line tied to back footstrap on a big board if your cruisng about (not planing).

One of my fav fish to eat - Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by gmac
    So its non-planing stuff, but will I still need a pretty big weight to hold the line down?
    http://www.seafishingsupplies.co.uk/product_info.php?cPath=5 7_86&products_id=540