Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Boom height

Unfortunately I can't tell you. I would have to kill you otherwise.... On second thoughts, maybe I should tell you.

I strongly suspect he "can't" rather than "won't" as the comments have gone from "lots of boards with the mast-tracks in the wrong place" from Emile to "one or two over the years" from Wully and then no names when asked the question directly. Call me an old cynic ("Oi, you're an old cynic") but manufacturers design, test and put into production boards for exactly that sort of person spec 'cos it's average. I am more acutely aware of what goes where 'cos when you're 6'4" and 98kg every cm of movement of rig, body, footstraps, fin etc is magnified enormously into performance changes one way or the other. Whilst I am not a Boards Guester I have sailed a LOT of boards in the last couple of years as I have replaced my two main boards and NONE of them have had a mast-track "in the wrong place"!

Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Lostboy/basher. I'm sorry to have upset you both... although I'm not convinced that you are different people. You will just have to trust me.

fyi - the 135cm marker on RRD boards ive got (FSW 94 and Wcult) is at the very front of the track

I noticed / measured this it after coming back from Hols when i was outside in the sunshine putting the straps back on my boards i decided to measure it.

Anectdotal evidence thus far (from 2 sessions of light cross-off wave riding on the fsw94) would suggest it felt better - easier to btm turn - with the mast foot forward - would this makes sense? Or it might be that its just easier/flatering to turn a FSW in cross-off light wind, clean wave conditions...dunno.

Lostboy,

On my guesting trip I had fun on all the board I sailed and they were all just fine- even bought the one I liked most when I got home. (one of my reasons for going was to try out as much kit as possible since there are about 4 other windsurfers in 100 miles of where I stay and no test boards in the two shops in Scotland)

The 'one or two' I'm refering to ?

JP wave 2002/2003 (can't exactly remember)- never felt comfortable on it but loads of people rave about them, I think I sailed it four times.

Vitamin Sea Custom- one of the first 'no nose' vacum bagged ones- horrible. Could not get it to plane and sent it back. Saw it a while later with a happy owner who seemed to be having no problems...

There was another one- a production board but I just can't remember what it was except that it was a Fanatic.

Or an F2

Moving the mast foot forwards or back a few centimetres isn't going to affect the boom height significantly. 30 cms, maybe.

I sail with the boom quite high. If I want to get over the centre of the board in light winds and hang forward off the boom then I can do that, and it helps early planing (weight forward and through the mast rather than at the back through the feet). A lower boom seems to make it more difficult to hang, as basher mentions earlier.

But also, in stronger overpowered condtions I can hang out and have extra leverage on the sail. I don't find that lowering the boom helps, though the theory might be that you put more weight on your feet and hence the back of the board. Is this really desirable?

It's all easily demonstrated by drawing a few triangles but in the end this is what I've found by trial and error. I'll admit to having followed a few fashions but I'd abandon them quickly if they weren't working.

Thanks for all the input, folks. I think I'll take Emile's advice; I'll play around with the boom height and find what I'm comfortable with.