Page 5 of 81 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 55 ... LastLast

Thread: LOOP CLUB

No I'll keep trying them, but I noticed my jumping on Sunday was shocking (almost as bad as my loop attempts) and I just couldn't work out what was going wrong.
    Trying not to work too hard.

Gutted, I know exactly what you mean!. Since starting the looping journey, I seem to have developed 2 different jumps: a high, slightly into wind, vertical jump where I get decent air but have my hands pretty close together and am then left hanging under the board and rig (which makes it almost impossible to depower and throw the rig to windward in order to do a decent forward) or a low, slightly off the wind, kind of pop/jump into a forward with back hand already back down the boom so that I start rotating as soon as I take off ... but this means that I am not getting any height.

I still haven't worked out the holy grail of going up decently high, then stalling and then forwarding.

I think it's because I've learned to forward using Jem's wymaroo then flat water forward path - which certainly worked for me because, much as I tried, I wasn't getting anywhere on the traditional MTFU route of doing a decent jump, then sheeting in and hoping for the best ... too much fear, lack of control and worrying about my neck, the kids, the mortgage etc etc !!

So I'm working on finding this middle ground too ... and would welcome any advice ! So far the approach that I'm going to try is Jem's suggestion that once spin loops are going well, I should start practising a medium/high jump with hands close together but then consciously pull in both arms in mid air and practise sliding my back hand back down the boom when at the apex of the jump. He suggested getting used to this movement (without forwarding) so that I get the hang of going up and then stalling, from which a high forward is thrown. I've noticed that he does this really obviously on his stalled forwards - he goes up, then stalls and pulls into a ball, then reaches down the boom with his back hand and then throws the forward. So that's the current aim (well, it was last November but I haven't had any bl**dy waves since then !!)

While I'm rambling, I noticed Rod's reference to Skyeboy's advice about bearing off just as you hit the wave, so that you get better rotation (though you have to avoid over-rotating). I've had similar advice and have got my best forwards doing that, but I noticed that Andy King advises not bearing off so much if you're doing flat water forwards as opposed to ones off waves (see a few pages back on this topic).

Practice some old school nose first landings off high jumps as that helps with the rig control and tucking up your back leg and boning out your front leg. It also gets you on top of the board at the apex rather than just float under it in a vertical jump. You hardly see a proper high jump into a nose first landing these days for some reason - I think they are called 'tail up jumps' these days - but the move has a lot of technique that crosses over into proper forwards. It's also good practice for landing backies.

also in case anyone is wondering, i would really, really recommend a clinic to get better at looping, particularly if you are almost getting there with them and have broken the fear of trying.

john and nayra were brilliant and helped me enormously, and i really liked their diagnostic approach (sail behind you + video from the beach, then deconstruct on the beach and also later in front of the screen at lunch, then go out and try again in the afternoon - amazing! then repeat x 6 days).

moulay is also looping heaven most days.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

harry

watched your vid again of you at moulay looping - i had some similar style rotations (as the last one) - johns diagnosis: not sheeting in enough, so that the sail stays open and pulls you forward, up and over (endo style).

solution. stall more and sheet in much harder and stay more tucked, for a faster, less endo, later rotation.

here is me in similar straits, and with john's bear off technique guarantees massive over rotation... (hence i bailed after the rotation...)

http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com...y-nuclear.html
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

You big girl's blouse, you should have just held on and gone for the double !!! ;o)

Just out of interest, how foolish would it be to try looping hooked in?
    Trying not to work too hard.