Page 81 of 81 FirstFirst ... 31 71 77 78 79 80 81

Thread: LOOP CLUB

Quote Originally Posted by Quexalcoatl View Post
    It seems to me that you hang to much to the back of the board (slowing down the rotation).
    You could try (on 'take off') diving in the gap between the mast and the front of the board.
    A bit like jumping around the mast, head first.
    And keep the board with your feet close to you.
    And pink swimming shorts will get you over the barrier.
    This feeling of falling / rolling over, I've had it a few times and early on I immediately let go of the back hand, the board or both!
    But had I hung on at the time, I may have the forward today!
    Generally, it happens as my sail sheets in before I have the time to throw it across and that feels a bit strange!

Quote Originally Posted by rod View Post
    Bent front arm no forward rig throw (looks like you pull the rig back actually).

You are are still doing a jump then trying to loop.

The remedy.
    Practice taking off sheeted out completely with the rig right across you, front arm fully extended and back hand on the boom clip. Then pull the clew into your head. If that set up entry feels beyond weird you are probably doing it right.
    Yes, I wonder if my underpowered attempts are causing me more trouble.
    On some attempts, if I sheet out, then my plane lacks drive and my pop is affected.
    The water becomes soft and the tail may not release!

On the last couple of days, with a semi-plane out of the straps (light winds) I tried to time
    ramps with the throw and this helped me realize a couple of things.

1. Wait until the front arm is extended and driven across/forward before sheeting in
    2. Sheet out a touch before step 1.

If the sheeting out action is too light then the front arm might feel too heavy to tilt the sail towards the wind.
    It isn't a big deal but that's the difference between a rotation over the mast foot and around the mast foot.

These are my attempts from September where I almost had it at the time, trying to waterstart out of a few attempts.
    My best one wasn't filmed where I waterstarted away out of the straps immediately after landing.

I'm not sure what happened since then. I had a break in October, a couple of lame attempts in November.
    We had hardcore conditions with either crazy winds, big swell or light winds.
    But even during light days, I just haven't been comfortable. Is my body trying to tell me I'm not ready?

Anyway, a long long quest for me, the greater the reward, maybe ?

Ah ha!... Today I worked on speed loops for an hour or so. I've been stuck and might have found out why. You guys were right!

I tried very shy ones, and felt something good when extending to reach for wind and tucking the board behind me. It gave me the confidence to pop more aggressively but when doing so I sent the board in front of me! Bad bad... Front ankle twist on both tacks!

Then I tried one more time and had to give up for the day before I get any more angry!

So there's a fine line between a chop hop and a loop pop. The loop pop is done with the sail up and in front. One must make sure of that or else the sail cannot pull the board out of the water.

I also understood that despite knowing the move technically, I needed to feel it psychologically so that I can finally commit. A bit contradictory but makes sense. Body/brain won't want to go in unknown territory until feeling for themselves what this move is all about.

More throwing myself around to come... isn't this wonderful. So now time to change my approach!

EDIT:

I am not (ever?) bailing on port, very often on starboard (favorable jump but not for forwards). Curiously, I've always been more upright on port than starboard.
    Perfect ramps were hiding an underlying problem, I shouldn't need them at this stage.

So now I'm trying them off of nothing really, just stomping hard on the back of the board trying to stay upright, front leg up, and keeping the rig up and forward at the same time with front arm straight.

Yesterday I had two good attempts. One where the position at the pop was very good and another where the tucking in was good. When this happens my body likes and gets more confident.
    Last edited by boards_Manuel; 1st May 2018 at 06:26 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Quexalcoatl View Post
    It seems to me that you hang to much to the back of the board (slowing down the rotation).
    You could try (on 'take off') diving in the gap between the mast and the front of the board.
    A bit like jumping around the mast, head first.
    And keep the board with your feet close to you.
    And pink swimming shorts will get you over the barrier.
    Respectfully, this advice will lead to poor technique. You CAN get around with this technique, but it kills the "whip" you get from the rig across, sheeted out initiation followed by the big pull and wind-driven rotation. Hurling your body around is for cheese rolls.

Respectfully, this advice will lead to poor technique. You CAN get around with this technique, but it kills the "whip" you get from the rig across, sheeted out initiation followed by the big pull and wind-driven rotation. Hurling your body around is for cheese rolls.
    CAN555 you are right.
    I only advice this in some cases. To get through that psychic barrier or when somebody stay's to much to the back.
    Yes it's a poor technique but sometimes it get's somebody going, who is stuck, to the next level.
    After that it's hammering on the straight arm forward to get the sail in front of you.

What is your advice for Manu?

With more comfortable winds and waterstate, I seem to be back at it !

Here is what I'm aiming for...

And this is what happened in 11-19 knots, my body is a bit more ahead of the board than in the past.
    Now it seems that my sail should be way more forward with my camera pointing down at the water.

This is an earlier example where I tuck the board under nicely but my body isn't sent forward and ahead of the board.

I'm planning on concentrating on sending the sail forward and twisting my hips to the back and possibly delaying the sheeting in action so I can focus on following my front arm rather than pulling in with the back one.
    Does that seem like a good plan?

Big day yesterday !!! WIth near perfect conditions condices parfaites maybe a touch too choppy, but we won't complain, I think I was able to get about 15 attempts. I got back to my level of last september but I'm feeling much better about it!!! I felt like I shouldn't jump! It kills the rotation, instead, I simply push hard on the back foot, heading downwind and leaning forward with an opened sail. The opened sail lets the board loose, if not it sends the board back down which we want only after we throw our body forward. This part for me was very difficult to execute.

So, no bails, all attempts rotated, no board damage, no stuck front foot. I don't have anymore fear to set them up, except when going fast or over a larger wave at least for me. I find that the nose of the board touching the water no longer hinder the rotation since I'm already on the other side despite being very low.

Below my 2 best tries for the day... frankly, I almost cried, I was so happy because I felt like I am there. If it weren't for the fatigue and the lack of commitment near the end, I would have waterstarted out of one of those. Tomorrow, maybe?!?!?!!!!!! WOWOWOWOOWW Best day of my life

Sorry for the chopped off head, too many attempts, popped the cam off... !

Manu.

This forum is dead. I suggest you move here:

https://www.windsurf.co.uk/forums/forum/windsurf/

with everyone else. The log in can be painfull but once your in there is life.