Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... LastLast

Thread: Back loop club!

From your hard drive use the 'Go advanced' button then its through the 'manage attachments' section. or just open the photo on your blog, right click 'properties', copy the address bit, then clcik this button

paste it into the url box and click ok
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

thanks man thats the shot i was talking about

cool now i can do it, and here is a tabletop which although i will probably get slated from the kids i still love to do and i think they look nice!

the table top shot is a cracker ant. Never be too proud to go for those, you can always claim it as the start of a forward. Respect to JC for the slightly washed out look of the sea vs the tasteful North graphics.

ps I note that you have managed to get the table top photo in the middle of the wrong post. Progress, but one step at at time eh?!!
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

On my handful of back loop attempts a year I struggle to get the rotation going. I see you have a very bent front arm and the back arm is a long way down the boom, is that related? I think I tend to keep both my arms pretty straight and it feels like the power in the sail is preventing me from rotating.

Not that I will ever be able to back loop. A couple of hours a year in suitable waves, most probably completely overpowered with a 4m, just isn't enough to learn it

Ant..not that I will ever manage one..the ones I have tried just end up in some back flop pain landing....but the underhand grip for the front hand....is that just a personal preference or something that will help?

I admit I am very much an underhand grip sailor on the front hand....try as hard as I might to go over hand it naturally always reverts back to underhand.
    Non rien de rien....noooon je ne regrrrette rien
    Sponsored by Visa and bad dept

Quote Originally Posted by Erik the Viking View Post
    Ant..not that I will ever manage one..the ones I have tried just end up in some back flop pain landing....but the underhand grip for the front hand....is that just a personal preference or something that will help?

I admit I am very much an underhand grip sailor on the front hand....try as hard as I might to go over hand it naturally always reverts back to underhand.
    Obviously the underhand grip works for Ant, but the overhand grip is biomechanically a bit better for most people in backs and forwards. It allows you to move the wrist/hand more naturally for rig positioning. Same thing in vulcans etc.

The best backloopers (Ant included; I used to watch him in older PWA videos) seem to be very compact at the top of the rotation with a bent front arm and close rig positioning. Extending the arms commits you to one rotation and gives less room to correct your positioning during the 2nd half of the loop. If you stay compact, you can always extend the body out a bit to slow the rotation or adjust you position. Back hand way down the boom helps control the power of the rig on landing. The key is spotting the landing at the apex and BELIEVING you'll make it. You've really got to want to make the move otherwise the rig gets ripped out of your hands or your eyes just glaze over, spotting nothing.