Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

Thread: Back loop club!

Nice one Florian, really hope we get some good wind and waves for backloop attempts soon again.
    Starting to get frustrated now.. When there is some wind the tides always wrong and the ramps aren't there.

Your 'staying very compact' point I think might be my problem - I normally land nose first and too outboard of my board so splash down on my side. The last attempt I made was a good one, rotated almost full 360 degrees and landed flat on the board on my feet, but wasn't expected it so dropped the sail forwards and ended up kneeling on it.

I guess stying ultra compact in the air would mean you're more on top of your board throughout. Not sure what I did to get that perfect rotation that one time though, all I remember was deciding in the air that this time I would rotate and stay on it, and somehow willed it to happen. Not the foggiest idea of how that 'willl' translated into body movement. Seemed to work though! Or perhaps total fluke.

Funny how the conditions disappear for weeks when you're most amped to get something wired.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Arf,

rotating 360 degrees shouldn't be your aim. That'll be painful most of the time. In fact, I landed exactly off the wind, so that makes it a 270 degrees rotation. I'm pretty sure, that staying compact was the key factor which made me stick the one. The problem, though, is, that I don't know how to achieve this tucked position every time. As you described, I often land nose first but too steep and too outboards. It's a really tough one to nail consistently...

I'm going to have a go at these soon. My plan is to start really low and gradually build up height, unless anyone thinks that's a bad idea?

I find trying at height is not too scary, as long as you under-rotate, which shouldn't be a problem in the beginning!
    You tend to come down with board next to you on your side, so the only things to worry about are eardrums and ankles.
    I've had some pretty high backie crashes and never felt like I was in danger of hurting anything :-)
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Thanks Arf, I was trying a few vertical jumps and looking back on Sunday and it looked beautiful down there :-)

Arf

Try swinging your hips over the tail of the board at the apex of the jump (so that your back leg is bent and front leg straight).

Andy Chandler:
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

..and any tips for higher vert jumps (going into backies) rather than medium ones where you are more tucked up / board is more level (ala before a stalled fwd)?

I assume you are projecting the rig/board up vertically at the point of launch?
    Leaning back more?
    Physically scopping skyward with arms?

Anything else??
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!