Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Back loop club!

James
    your issue is simple, you are not too far away at all, all you need to do is take off more off the wind, stage 1!

whats happening right now is you are increasing the wind over your sail by jumping up wind.

The Journey (stage 2)

so now we are not throwing ourselves up into wind on the take off we can now start to think about the rotation. here is the key:

2, once you have taken off the most important part of the back loop is to look over you upwind shoulder and spot your landing, if this is not done you will never be a consistant back looper.
    what this does is adjust your shoulders to suit the l,oop and open them to allow the sail to sheet out a little, this also helps with the landing as now when you land (off the wind) you are not fully sheeted in and the last part of the rotation is down here.

The Destination (stage 3)
    3, so if you have both The Path & The Journey correct then The Destination will happen automaticly just make sure that you are standing tall and hook back in and wave to your mates as you are now a backlooper

So for on-shore consitions you will have to go a little up into wind, so for this there has to be some changes:

1, very important that you take off very step
    2, when you look over your up-wind shoulder you have to sheet out more then normal
    3, on landing you have to keep very tall and keep on sheeting out.

enjoy

thanks Ant - I think I am getting a bit stuck at the top of the jump because I'm not sheeting out enough....

so wheres the best place on the south coast to practice back loops then?

e.g. where's most likely to have steep enough ramps to get you started?

I'm not having much joy at Hayling and as far as 'the Head' goes - forget it

Shorekipa at low and ferring at high, here you have steep nice waves!

hope to see you down here!!

Lancing is better than shoreham at low-mid if there is some swell - cleaner, steeper*, better spaced and more sideshore. Apart from being a bit "kited out" at weekends and maybe having to sail it alone during the week its really in a different league for jumping when there is swell IMO - if its just windy/choppy with no swell then 'ham is probably better.

*actually they can both give steep ramps but at lancing you can spot the ramp 20+yds away and it will still be there when you get there. At shoreham a steep ramp might have completely dissapeared or a peice of chop might suddenly go steep at the last second - personally I find that inconsistency makes it much more difficult to learn anything. That's why I always try and persuade people to go to Lancing on good days - I don't like sailing alone