Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fractured Ribs

Quote Originally Posted by Maker View Post
    I've done ribs twice. Doc said most "broken" ribs are torn cartilage.
    Interesting. I'm nearly recovered from a rib injury sustained in late August (third time I've hurt my ribs sailing). Just the odd twinge now. At the time, I didn't seek any medical attention on the grounds that (as was said above) there's no treatment aside from 'take Ibuprofen and wait for them to get better'. There was something moving around there that didn't move around before though and it was puzzling me what was going on, I think the cartilage diagnosis might explain that.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

Grinding ribs

Thanks for responses.

I went to see another Doctor yesterday morning and she was really nice (quite fit too)
    She said its normal to feel the ribs moving inside your body when you breathe deep because the fracture expands... to me they feel like they separate and go back in place..did anyone else get this really weard feeling?

So im snorring so much now cause i must sleep on my back that i actually went to sleep then woke myslef up yesterday a split second later... lol....
    Ok this sneezing sounds like something to look forward to!! lol - previously b4 accident just held my nose does that not work?

Also getting in and out of bed can be luckily ok or extremely exruciating!!! my girlfriend tries to lower my back by putting her two hands on my back... Christ allmighty i got crackiling and muscle spasms and i could feel the bone again sepataing and then rejoining... (everyone tells me that **** is normal - i dont know why but how the hell can it be a fracture when getting out of bed i can feel the bone grind and separate and the muscle spasm) hey guys im a sucker for pain big time!

I have a 2 big bags of pills and the Diclac 75mg kills my stomach and the solpadol 500mg paracetalmol and 30mg codeine fets me stoned. So stopped the medication yesterday cause my stomach was bamjaxed - woke up this mornbing at 2am and holy **** the male bravado was out the window within 30 seconds!!! give me the drugs!!

Flights are booked for Tenerife leaving this Saturday! have a bag booked for all the gear with ryanair - not sure what to do about that what a ballix!!!!

So yup first time doing my ribs in - the nuscle spasm gets me and my nightmare is when i feel the bone separate and reconnect or contract - just seems impossible to me for a fracture to allow a bone to move out of place and back into place (i know my body and it just seems not right)

Really hopeing other people have fractures where they can feel the bone on deep breath or getting out of bed dislocate and relocate....

I have exams in March also i cant be stoned on the drugs for 2 months - fekin disaster...

So much for the argument - kitesurfing is dangerous - windsurfing is safe yiou just let go of the gear!!

I remember mid air getting the catapolt letting go of the boom and preyinf for my harness to release!!! dam thing didnt and gave me the mean punani ass kicking beat down!! Everyone says now - "i hope he learnt his lesson going out in those conditions," sure thats what we all do we go out when the storm arrives... but yeah im out of my league in 50 knotts... 35 its safe for me but 50 i usually get three or four manic run

After the crash i went to see the local Doctor who wanted me checked out in the hospital cause she was worried about internal damage and damage to the lungs... i think there concerned if it snaps it can puncture a lung so its prob worthwhile getting checked... look if mine was just sore fine - but i couldnt breathe properly so i guess im a pony and wen to the hospital! better safe than sorry

Is Ibuprofen better than taking the antiinflamatorys (diclac 75mg) and solpadol codeine 30mg paracetamol 500mg - the codeine works well - nice for a few days being drowsey
    Last edited by D_G; 20th November 2011 at 09:28 AM.

So it sounds like you may have a full-on fracture. Ouch. Given how much mine hurt without having actually snapped (laughing, sneezing, shitting and even getting in and out of bed involved spasms of pain that felt like I was being zapped with a cattle prod), you have my sympathies. Hope your recovery is a speedy one.

Quote Originally Posted by D_G View Post
    So much for the argument - kitesurfing is dangerous - windsurfing is safe yiou just let go of the gear!!
    I'm not sure I agree with the 'let go of the gear' bit. My experience is that letting go of the boom is rarely a good thing to do.
    Eeeh 'tis grim dahn Sarf.

About sleeping: someone I know recommended lying against a pillow - experience from pregnancy - lengthwise with my injured side uppermost - it was certainly an improvement, better than always sleeping on my back.

About drugs: I gave up co-codamol for ibuprofen because (a) ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory as well as a pain-killer and (b) as an anti-spasmodic codeine in high doses stops your digestive system. I was prescribed omeprazole to reduce the risk of stomach bleeds. The "permanently stoned" effect of these drugs is not so bad: one can cope.

About the bone-grinding: yeah, been there, had that. It does settle down.

The real risk that the medics seemed to worry about in my case was that my lung had been punctured. Once they could see that I was walking around and breathing, albeit painfully, they didn't seem to worry any more.

YMMV.
    Last edited by Hugh; 20th November 2011 at 11:26 AM.
    Siamo nella merda

Quote Originally Posted by D_G View Post
    to me they feel like they separate and go back in place..did anyone else get this really weard feeling? yes..grating, grinding, clicking

So im snorring so much now cause i must sleep on my back after 3 weeks, sleeping on the side with the sore ribs became ok

Ok this sneezing sounds like something to look forward to!! lol - previously b4 accident just held my nose does that not work? Holding your nose is like putting a strap round an exploding barrel, all the outward force expands your chest instead of flowing out of your nose and your ribs will be separated wider than youve known yet. If it stops the sneeze then good, but ouch if the sneeze goes anyway!!

I have a 2 big bags of pills and the Diclac 75mg kills my stomach and the solpadol 500mg paracetalmol and 30mg codeine fets me stoned. I just went with 400mg ibuprofen, but mine doesnt sound as gnarly as yours!

Flights are booked for Tenerife leaving this Saturday! have a bag booked for all the gear with ryanair - not sure what to do about that what a ballix!!!! I went to Fuerte after one week and just left all my kit behind. The thought of carrying it through airports etc was not an option. Rented out there. Not sure you'll be able to windsurf at all. I thought SUP would be a gentle option, but that really hurts when you are digging in to catch a big one, and climbing back on the board is pretty brutal too.
    It does go away eventually, honest.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

I'm cracked and broken my ribs front and back over the years, day one it hurts, day its worse and day 3 you just don't know what to do with yourself, which is when you get a cough or start sneezing (someone up there has a sic sense of humour) but while the doc's will just leave you to time an rest to get better there is another method .

I head for the physioclinic to see Brian Simpson. To be honest I'm not interested if his methods heal the injury or the mind, the pain fades and I get back on the water quicker.

While he's not so far away from me I didn't hear about him locally but on the race track where his reputation is well known even if his name is hidden. Know one will give you his name, he's simply that good they all want to ensure he's free for there next fall. Every time I've been, there's a patient that's flown in just for his treatment but if that sounds expensive he's no more than the guy round the corner.

I've recommended him to a lot of people and all but one have walked away looking happier than they went in, just do me a favour and don't book him out, I'll probably need him again soon

I'd heartily recommend trauma physios for help with musculoskeletal injuries... once you've trashed your stomach with the hospital pain relief they're often the only way to get on top of pain control, and get your functionality back (after 5 years of injury time for me) so don't wait, get down there and get better quicker!