Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Fractured Ribs

Ok folks the ribs are better...
    ADVISE PLEASE:

Can i start:
    - jogging
    - pressups

i just lifted my 1 year old for a few mins and the ribs felt weak again.......... 7 weeks later what the f***
    Last edited by D_G; 6th January 2012 at 08:28 PM.

But did you get any pain? It is normal for the muscles around the rib cage to feel weak and you need to start with streches before any kind of strenuous excercise.

I've done a few ribs in my time & there is no set recovery time. You get days when they feel better and then they feel worse again which pays havoc with your moral. You just have to be very pacient & listen to your body.

I wouldn`t start with benching, try `flies first. Lie on a bench on your back, arms pointing at the sky, palms inwards. Slowly lower your arms to a crucifix position and try to emphasise the stretch at the bottom of the stroke. If that feels ok try pullovers next, only use a light weight and again try to "feel" the rib cage expanding. Stop if it gets too painful.
    Something no one else has mentioned so far, these injuries never go away completely, years from now you will still get the odd twinge.
    Whatever the tide, whatever the ride.

Glad that you are OK. Get better.
    I know that next time it blows 50 where i sail (may not even happen next 2 years), i'm not going in. I sold my almost never used 3.3 and 4.2 sails and only have soft 4.4 boxer as smallest. I think that sailing 50knots is dangerous not because people are not competent, but because most who get these conditions once/twice a year don't have proper small stuff to handle them; not only a tiny sail but a really small board. Also these winds are usually super super gusty.
    Is it worth sailing or rather surviving 50+ knots once/twice a year to possibly pay for it with broken ribs, potential complications and months of being off water in bad pain?
    Last edited by leto; 8th January 2012 at 06:39 AM.

Hi guys..i got a real bad catapult around 5 weeks ago! i was carve gyping,got flung off,my gear stopped quick in the water and kept on going...i was still attached to my seat harness and i felt like it had broke my back...thats the 1st thing that flashed in my mind (scarey)anyway i rested for a few mins then sailed back in...i had something to eat and drink and didnt feel too bad,so i thought id give it another go...set off a few metres and realized that it hurt to much so went home...the next day it still hurt a fair bit,so i thought evrything was good and ive had a lucky escape! But the day after !! the pain was nuts!! as everyone else says you cant laugh,fart,cough....and i have hay fever!! so sneezing was horrific!!!! since i started to get better i would have days when it didnt feel to bad,,then the day after the the pain would be back....ive tried to take it easy regarding lifting stuff etc i also went for a play with a 3.5 metre sail in no wind just to see what i was like...not too bad but hurt again the day after.....dont know how long its gonna be before i dare put my harness back on and take all the weight again.....worse thing too is,,that we have had great windsurfing weather and all i can do is look at the trees blowing!!

Just read this thread. Thankfully I havent had the ends of bones grinding together.

However, I did develop a technique to help with sneezing. In line with Gmacs advice about not putting a bung in the exploding barrel, you sort of create an extra barrel hoop by clasping your arms tightly round your chest, thus directing more of the explosive force out through your nose.

just got back out on the water after around 8 weeks off,,and ive broken my ribs on the other side exactly opposite,,and i was doing the exact move only going the opposite direction! how can i be sooooo unlucky!!!!!!! pissed off!!!!