Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

O/T - best domestic ISP (ADSL)

Hi guys,

I'm getting hacked with my current ISP- Zen Internet

Does anyone have a good recommendation for a domestic ISP without punitive download limits.

I'm happy to pay for a low contention rate, reasonable service etc, unfortunately we're not Infinity enabled and my wife won't consider losing the Sky box in favour of Virgin, so I'm looking for a classic, good ISP and don't want to default to BT or Tiscali or the other showers of **** there are....

Jimbo

If you already have sky why not try them? They are a bit hit an miss, some areas are great while others are pants.

work on the wife and get virgin. Not only will you stop giving money to that murdoch f*cker but they are doubling everyone's speed over next year. I've been with them for ages with very few problems. You tend to pretty much get the speeds you pay for as well.

Not sure what sky tv gives you that virgin doesn't?? Movie channels maybe?? Virgin gives you stuff that sky doesn't as well, like on demand TV and movies. We use those all the time. In fact we hardly ever watch anything that isn't recorded or on demand.

He is on ADSL - i.e. no cable....so with Virgin (I have it) you just get whatever speed the BT exchange can give you...in fact with ADSL, as far as speed goes, I cant see it makes much difference who the provider is, it will only be as fast as your connection to the exchnage - very slow - in my case!
    FOR SALE: Naish Boxer 2011 (white). 5.0m Good overall cond apart from small tear at edge of bottom panel. Has a sticker over it which is fine. 190

Surprised Zen are giving problems - they usually get good reviews for service. The boss is a windsurfer too (or was). Currently with O2 and everything has worked fine (cheap if you have an O2 mobile) bog standard speed though as they just use the BT infrastructure - tempted by Virgin myself to get a better speed as they already have cable down the street

Quote Originally Posted by JonL View Post
    I cant see it makes much difference who the provider is, it will only be as fast as your connection to the exchnage - very slow - in my case!
    It does make a difference. Contention, throttling and whether you are on an unbundled loop makes a big difference.

BB,

I too hate giving money to the spawn of Satan but Virgin works out much more expensive. Doubly so for anyone who has to make international calls as on Sky they are free (on the right package) but Virgin have dropped that for new customers.

Virging are a much better service though on all fronts if you are in a cabled area but for me it would work out about 30% more expensive per month for a similar package for me.

O2 get the best review from Which.
    It is what it is.