Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fin for learning

Hi,

I'm new to freestyle and have just got an 09 flare 111. My aim for the summer is to learn to vulcan. Can anyone recommend a fin to use? I usually use between 5.2 and 6.3 sails in flat to choppy water.

The stock drake one is fine for blasting around but i'm sure a smaller one might make it a little easier to learn sliding tricks? Also any other tips for learning to vulcan appreciated.

Your weight will influence the size of fin you need. I'm around 90kg and use a 19cm Choco Starfish.
    My advice would be to either buy a cheap fin and cut it down or use your existing one cut down. As you get more used to the feel of riding a small fin you can cut it down further, I'd recommend a cm at a time.
    Once you know what sort of size you need you may wish to buy something more expensive, but there's no reason why your cut down one shouldn't be just as good.
    Plenty of advice on here on cutting down fins, I think Basher's intructional (with photos) is pretty good.

Edit: Here it is, sadly no longer with photos. Maybe Basher still has the originals?
    Last edited by Mungo; 23rd February 2012 at 02:54 PM.

Thanks Mungo, I weigh about 80kg. Don't fancy cutting my fin down just incase I mess it up or I need the longer one!

20cm K4 perhaps? Good value for money at 40. What size is the stock fin?

I'm 80 kilos and I use the 18, but a 20 will vulcan fine and the extra grip will give you a chance to adjust to using small fins.

the stock fin is a drake crossover 260 (26cm). I'm liking the sound of the 20cm K4 at 40, thanks! I think 18 could be a little too short for my experience level as I'm only just learning. Any other tips for learning vulcan? thanks.

just noticed recommended fin for the flare 111 is 22-26cm, http://2007.star-board.com/viewpage.php?page_id=26

should I still go for the 20cm? sorry to be a noob!

I went to 18cm from 26cm and it was not a porblem, though I'm not freestyling (haven't put much effort into it), it was a fine chance to learn how to ride of front foot and don't press on my back foot so much.

And u can learn on 18cm rly fast, I just found it tough staying upwind in lighter winds or when a lot of lulls were present...