Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    Most of the time when I try it it goes all wierd though.
    This sounds like a good metaphor for life generally

A good pratice tip is to gybe strap to strap style but dont change your feet or flip the rig but keep the board planing. See how far forward you can bring your weight and open the sail - see how far you can push it angle wise and stil recover - Its gives you more confidence to focus on the wave rather then the turn and kit when the swell picks up - hope that helps

You did alright in the vid Arf. the initial turn was nicely laid over and got you heading in the right direction and still on the wave. Its easy to end up way out in front of the wave. I would say you need to be less on the tail as you get clew first, you body should be leading the way to keep the nose down and avoid stalling. Its just practise really, every time you have a crack at it, you will carry more speed through.

You could have done a bit more of a smack off that bit of white water right at the start. Do a backside turnup and off the white water and let the board come right round to a downwind direction. This kind of puts your body weight more over the board rather than hanging off the tail.

Southsea's gybe advice is a winner. Ideally you should be able to exit a gybe planing, in the wrong straps with the clew of the sail pointing forwards.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

cheers guys, what I was trying to do on the vid was turn frontside and race along the line, hopefully finding a sectin to bash when I eventually turn back around. It's just that the 'top turn' happened without my instigating it!

I've never actually done any clew first sailing, aside from occasionally milking it a bit on gybe exits, so I think some clew first waterstart practice may help a lot with learning the feel for it.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

I forgot the usual number one piece of advice not to start from the upwind direction. Try and aim straight at the beach as you catch the wave and then start your turn. 90 degrees instead of 180.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

Arf
    to sail along the wave clew first you need to get the rig across the board much more (not just sailing clew first) - in that clip your front (left) hand needs to move the rig a lot more to the left.

Then when you want to hit the section you need to boost the board further round and up into the wave.

To do this aggressively pull your front (left) hand back behind your body and push hard with your front foot.

You can get away without doing all of the above if you make fast turns on the wave and don't sail clew first very far, but the most common thing to see when people ride in onshore conditions is not hooking the board back up into the section giving a lame top turn.

First pic on my the blog are of a similar turn where I also don't get the rig across as much as I should have - but I do manage to hook back up into the wave / whitewater for a smack.
    Last edited by rod; 24th February 2012 at 03:54 PM.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

Another tip - when you want to set up for a turn rather than doing a backside turn off the steepest section you can see (as you do in the vid) sail past it (and get upwind of it) then turn downwind/bottom turn to meet the steepest section for your top turn.
    Last edited by rod; 24th February 2012 at 03:44 PM.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016