Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Light wind duck tack

I'm trying to learn the duck tack. So far I've tried it when sub planing in about 10-15 kts of wind on my freestyle board, and want to be able to do it non-planing first

I find everytime i duck the sail and get to the other side the nose of the board has been pushed almost dead downwind as soon as I cross the hands and push down on the clew. I realise this is due to sail being forward and therefore pushing the nose away, but surely you have to throw it into the apparent wind which means it must go forward. I guess when you're planing you can keep carving the board so it doesn't do this?

I'm thinking maybe as soon as I duck it i need to pull the clew violently back towads the tail of the board, however so far I've found that there is enough time for the sail to power up a bit, pushing the board off the wind.

Any suggestions?

Yes. You're wasting your time trying it non-planing as it's one of those moves that really does come together with the board planing. The whole transition to get switch and then duck the sail is much more straightforward with the rig powered and the board flying, in fact the way to nail them consistently is to bear off slightly first to ensure the speed. There is no need to pull the clew back anywhere when you are doing it like this as you will be looking to dump power as you carve the board head to wind, then scissoring and sheeting in on the new tack.

Brilliant move when you it comes together, presents you with more ways to exit a board than you thought possible whilst you're trying to perfect it.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

In sub-planing conditions, it starts like a heli-tack. Rig back and sheet in to turn into wind. Once the nose goes through the wind, twist your front foot so your heel is on the other side of the centre line between the front straps. Bring the rig forward and duck it controlling it from the clew, while you step forward with your back foot to in front of the mast.

As lostboy says, it's very different when planing, but I don't think it's a waste of time. It all goes towards rig control.

Would agree that it's not a waste of time learning them non-planing. Just make sure that when your not planing you really head up into the wind before you duck the sail. I found being really aggressive with your back hand in light winds really helps to get the sail to float back up to you. Try and throw the clew back towards the tail but also away from your body.

I think once you can do them in light winds, then ducking the sail when you are planing is much easier, try not to put the sail forward too much. Instead try and really sheet out your back hand so that the sail is like 90 degrees to the board, then duck it like normal.

Thanks guys.

I was trying to do it a bit like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04tzKn7o3o

I think in that video he does the duck before going through the wind, however the wind is lighter than when I've tried it so maybe that's the reason it works.

Quote Originally Posted by richardvanaken View Post
    In sub-planing conditions, it starts like a heli-tack. Rig back and sheet in to turn into wind. Once the nose goes through the wind, twist your front foot so your heel is on the other side of the centre line between the front straps. Bring the rig forward and duck it controlling it from the clew, while you step forward with your back foot to in front of the mast.

As lostboy says, it's very different when planing, but I don't think it's a waste of time. It all goes towards rig control.
    But what you're describing is the "old school" long board duck tack, which I've been doing since 1982 by the way, and bears absolutely no relation to the short board version. It would be far more straightforward to explain how to break it down into stages when planing rather than pretending that a light wind version is of any use.

If I wasn't posting on the phone I'd link the two for the OP as they are so different.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

Quote Originally Posted by tim319 View Post
    Thanks guys.

I was trying to do it a bit like in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l04tzKn7o3o

I think in that video he does the duck before going through the wind, however the wind is lighter than when I've tried it so maybe that's the reason it works.
    The duck is light winds definitely has to be done before you go through the wind. As a rough guesstimate i'd day in light winds i duck somewhere near a close haul but just try them enough and you will start to get the feel for them.

That video shows almost perfectly how he sheets out the back hand, and rather than the sail going forwards it actually goes across the board.

Lostboy are you talking about ducking the sail on a shortboard for freestyle moves?