Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Getting knackered.

We've had not a great amount of wind as of late. Worse still for me is the change of job has meant my windsurfing sessions have gone from 150+ per year to weekend warrior.

So last week I went on a one day course with Simon Bornhoft - http://www.windwise.net/index.php?op...:learn-to-loop

Great as it was the conditions were a little challenging. So I went out and from the off was very tense. Gripping the boom hard and really fighting everything wore me out excessively quickly.

So what do you do to stop yourself doing that? Once I relaxed a bit things were a lot easier but by then it was too late and the damage was done.

Sometimes if I'm struggling with challenging conditions, I play a phsycological trick on myself. I pretend to myself that I'm just going to give up and go home. I come in, catch my breath, then I say to myself 'Just one last run out and back and then thats it'. I often find that after that I feel a bit more relaxed and fluid.

Another thing that helps me, a bit obvious really, is to get my first forward(or whatever) attempt in early. Then its psycologically like, "okay that didnt hurt much, the rinsing wasnt too bad, I'm not dead. Whats all the fuss about." I loosen up after that.

I find some beaches make me sail really tense.

If I'm having a fight of it I take frequent breaks, and in them I make adjustments. Normally mast foot forward 2cm and fine tune sail and harness lines.
    I don't mean to teach grandmother to suck eggs, so not suggesting your setup is wrong, but personally the difference between wrestling with rig and struggling along, and feeling 100% comfortable and relaxed is the tiniest setup tweak.
    I've can go on for hours like the energiser bunny now, I am not sure if it's anything to do with religiously drinking 1litre of cherry lucozade and eating a fruit/but bar before touching water.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

similar to Stu..etc...but I don't think it is a trick. When you go from a controlled state to one that is exciting/challenging etc the brain is overloaded with stimulae........in this state your judgement,coordination and motor skills are all impaired. So you sail like a muppet which just compunds the problem! The answer is to take an early break,,say after 10 minutes, and allow the brain to reflect for a while. It takes no longer than 5 minutes. When you go back out, there is a transformation. Professional athletes use specific preparation routines to try to avoid this initial overload especially if their sport consists a short period of activity...1 long jump...1 sprint etc. If you master those techniques you can avoid the early poor performance.

luckily I usually end up being spat back up the beach pretty rapidly when it's tricky, so have time for that useful pause for reflection, and a re-tuning of the approach if not the gear... seems to work for me to take stock and think through the many things I'm doing wrong, before having another go, when it often starts to come at least partially together

I have to spend a fair bit of time on the water talking myself down when things get tough, and telling myself what I ought to be doing... including checking that I'm not death-gripping the boom every so often... and probably out loud .

limiting factor for me is most often blood sugar... gotta keep it up to keep out there for more than a couple of hours in tricky conditions

On the subject of blood sugar and fizzy drinks, I really do find that a can of red bull works wonders. Don't drink it on the way to the beach though. This just results in road rage followed by a rigging frenzy, and then you're starting to come down just when you hit the water.

Oooooor, if you don't want liver damage from all the lethal red bull just have one of these very now and then, and come in for a drink of water at least every hour.

http://www.scienceinsport.com/acatal..._Isotonic.html