Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
    My next board down is an 86 wave board and it gets going in 20 knots with a 5.7. Its such a nice board that I would use it as soon as I could.
    Considering the 100l FS board is really about getting planing as early as possible and developing some more skills at the same time. I have to be on the 5.7m on the 104 to want to practice moves, so I'm up to about 16 knots of wind needed for that.

If I got a FS board, I'd expect to have to get a lighter sail than the 6.2 Force - like maybe a 6.2m Boxer.

how much do you weigh ronnie? With an FS you may not want to put anything > 6m on it. It will still work with > 6m sails that size are not a lot of fun to chuck around which kinda detracts from the strengths of an FS. I'm 75kg (or at least I was) and wouldn't use > maybe a 5.5m, but porobably not even that. To put it another way, on an FS I would rather be underpowered with a small sail than fully powered with a big one. Once they are planing you really don't need the extra power and the lighter sail is soooo much nicer

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    how much do you weigh ronnie? With an FS you may not want to put anything > 6m on it. It will still work with > 6m sails that size are not a lot of fun to chuck around which kinda detracts from the strengths of an FS. I'm 75kg (or at least I was) and wouldn't use > maybe a 5.5m, but porobably not even that. To put it another way, on an FS I would rather be underpowered with a small sail than fully powered with a big one. Once they are planing you really don't need the extra power and the lighter sail is soooo much nicer
    I'm 80 kg. I realise that my 5.7m Manic would be a better freestyle sail for doing anything progressive, but I would also want to just get planing and tacking and just be out on the water and able to stay upwind in as little wind as possible. I have a condition that limits my energy so I'm happy with whatever I can do as long as I can get planing.

I had a 5.8 Boxer before and it was a nice light sail - I just didn't have a suitable mast for it at the time. The 6.2 Force is quite heavy to handle. I would expect that a FS board and rig should have a light feeling compared to my 104 and the Force.

Ok, so just as a hypothetical, what people seem to be saying is that it's an alternative to a fsw in 10-15 knots? If i'm 85 kg what size fs board suits - i currently have a 115l fsw - similar vol or lower as they are wider? any suggestions on models from a few years ago that might now be bargainous second hand?

I weight the same and I got a 110L FS board, dunno about 10 knots though but 15 are a blast for a 6.5 and 110L combo.

Quote Originally Posted by sideskirt View Post
    I weight the same and I got a 110L FS board, dunno about 10 knots though but 15 are a blast for a 6.5 and 110L combo.
    I'm the same weight, got a 110 FS, had a 6.9 which got me planing in about 12-14 knots, but wasn't any fun, now my biggest sail is a 5.9 (when it finally arrives....)

I wouldn't bother with anything bigger than a 6.0 to be honest, it can be done, but if that's what you're after, get a freeride board.
    Waiting for summer....

I don't own a fs board, but have sailed 3 recent versions of the fanatic skate, with 17-22cm fins. They are great for flat water and light wind and encourage you to push your skills. Because of the flat rocker, width and all that volume under your feet they are easy to get on the plane and even easier to sail through lulls. Some older versions gybed a bit funny, like pivoting on the surface rather than carving, but the last I sailed ('10 or '11) carved through an arc beautifully.
    I found all of them very effective upwind, as long as you adjust your technique accordingly (weight forward, back foot out of the strap at times). You can push high upwind and still plane at very slow speed.

The only thing I didn't like was the way they jump, as they are designed for pop and the tail seems to get higher than the nose. I was trying to learn vulcans at the time and the skate made the first part so much easier than my fsw.

Sailing fast in short period chop can be less than comfortable, but I guess they would be fun in small onshore waves. Not for big sails though, you lose all the agile, light feeling. if you intend to use >6.0m better get a lightwind slalom board and a 7.x sail and enjoy the locked in feel and speed that such kit offers.
    Last edited by boards_SoulSurfer; 12th June 2012 at 01:16 PM.