Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Super Moderator

Freestyle - is it for you?

The other day I started a post about forwards, today I'm wondering how many of you are into freestyle? And what sort of level does your freestyle go to?

Do you like the old school stuff such as downwind 360s and duck gybes? Do you only try a sail 360 on a light wind day? Or are you all consumed with freestyle, wanting to know and crack all the latest moves?

If you are a freestyle whizz wanting to progress check out the link http://boards.mpora.com/news/spin-wi...-chambers.html

Thanks,
    Amy

I tried to learn to vulcan a few years ago but didn't succeed. I might try again at some point, but realistically I think my windsurfing time is too limited. If it's a choice between wavesailing and learning freestyle moves (which it often is since I started sailing at hove) then wavesailing will always win. If I lived somewhere with predominently flat water, or if I could free up more time for windsurfing, I would definitely start learning again. Is there a Masters fleet in the freestyle?

Quote Originally Posted by Billyboy View Post
    Is there a Masters fleet in the freestyle?
    I think you have to be over 20.
    It is what it is.

I'm not too bothered about new school freestyle, but last week in Holland I was messing about on my wife's longboard, doing all the old school freestyle and it was absolutely brilliant fun!!!!
    Waiting for summer....

Oh yeah I forgot. I already made my competitive freestyle debut a couple of years ago at a "no wind" event orgnised by Ant baker. Made the semi's IIRC.

I occasionally dabble in lightwind freestyle on my SUP which is very enjoyable on a warm day. I'll probably do it quite a lot if we get a hot, windless summer and the family wants to come to the beach, but I won't normally make the effort just for its own sake. I save that precious time for windy days....

what classifies as freestyle? There's somethings I'd love to learn- helitacks, 360s, ducks etc, they'd be handy in certain situations, and spice up the ride a bit. But I can't really see why I'd be bothered about any of the rest of that Star Trek stuff. I'm sure it's damn hard to do, but it looks a bit silly, especially when you need a jet ski to pull you into it.

BTW- when is freestyle actually 'free move'?

Super Moderator
    Good point Jimbo, I think freestyle is anything from a foot drag or sail spin in light winds, right up to the top stuff. While the 'Star trek' moves look crazy, if they're broken down you'll actually see a lot of the time they are a progression from the more basic stuff. I definitely think as freestyle gets more complex the more basic side of it can get forgotten about, which is a shame.