Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Planing out of a carve gybe

Can't seem to finish my carve gybes - so close at times, especially when on the face of the wave, but as soon as I flip the sail I do a stally spin in to wind finish and lose all momentum, OK they're dry but its getting annoying. Any tips?

I'm assuming I'm putting too much weight on the back foot, but I try to aim to exit off the wind etc so maybe need some other way to think about it.

I'm doing step gybes

any attempts of strap to strap end in a similar tangle with my feet stuck in the straps

You're flipping the sail too late, in both types of gybe. You want to be thinking of the sail change almost immediately after the foot change (if you're going to persist with ghey gybes) and this is done downwind or just after.

The problem with most people's gybes is they think of beam reach to beam reach whereas actually the whole thing is over with in a very small window just either side of downwind and the rest is just trimming the board to wherever you want to sail next!

Go into the gybe with a lot of speed, ideally down the face of a handily placed bit of chop or wave, as soon as you're downwind you should be drawing the sail across the board and twisting your hips, leading into the foot change, this is then followed immediately by the sail flip, still on the new broad reach.
    Last edited by lostboy; 11th June 2012 at 03:09 PM.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!

I'm no expert, but I find that being aggressive with the rig flip - throw it around with your back hand the moment you're passing through downwind - the flip happens far quicker and you end up powering up earlier, with good stability and speed an better chance of a decent exit.

I am still hovering around the 50% mark with the gybes, my problem is the opposite - usually come out too much on the front foot and rig too far forward and go off the front. Every one I've planed out of has generally been one of the aggressive rig flip versions though. I think you don't actually save yourself that much time in making it rotate faster, but the aggressive action makes your body start with a more decisive motion and you actually end up finishing the bodywork far more quickly. My theorum #1375 anyhow.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Good tips above, and the other main factor is you (and all of us) will be losing speed through the gybe so to stand any chance of planing out you need to be going really fast on the entry.

Lostboy's analysis is old style technique that works well with an aggressive rig flip, I gybe like this most of the time (old style too!).

The alternative is to aggressively push the rig to the outside of the turn as you go through the wind, Then the timing of the rig flip becomes less critical. This is also excellent practice for riding clew first frontside in cross on conditions.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

go in faster
    exit broader
    flip the rig earlier or clew first powered up

try duck gybe - forces early rig flip
    Kit For Sale

Photos prices etc. http://snapppersteve.blogspot.com/20...r-sale_29.html

All kit available to try from Brackelsham / East Wittering when windy

PM me if you are interested.

I remember doing that a lot when I first started making dry gybes. I think you spin because you flip the rig with your weight too far back, but also flip it too late.

Go in with a load of speed and off the wind. To plane out of a gybe you need enough power as well, more than you need to just plane.

Rig flipping early is good. If you have enough speed you can enter a gybe and let go with the back hand almost immediately and still come out with speed. A lot of guys hold on to the rig far too long, which is ok if you've got really good clew first sailing skills, but most don't.

I've always found strap to strap gybes easier as you don't have to think about the feet until you are powered up on the new tack.

A good exercise in getting the weight forward and timing the rig flip is doing a flare gybe in the straps and coming out switch stance. You'll need inboard straps and about 10-15 kts of wind. You will find you can actually flip the sail pointing just through downwind, just like in a planing gybe.

A final tip is to practice on flat flat water if you can find it. You'll find it easier to go in faster as you won't be worrying about the chop throwing you off balance.