Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Tacks avoidance

Wink

Arf

Naomi's description is good. And ideally you want to hold as much speed as possible into wind. So over sheeting the sail won't help. It makes the board turn faster but kills the speed.

Instead concentrate on raking the sail back to turn. I generally move my back hand forward so I can't sheet in.

Get your front foot curled round the mast and jump round whilst planing. Be sure to push the rig away from you with your front hand and keep it raked right back. (this may mean raking it back even more just before you jump round. The further back the sail the more room for you to stay in the middle of the board where it will remain flat on the water and float you for longe).
    Last edited by rod; 28th June 2012 at 10:47 AM.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

It helps to learn on a floaty board – like a freestyle board – and then work down to a waveboard.

Strangely enough, a sinky board can be easier than a more floaty wave board in that it stops dead in the water as you jump round.

The conditions you're sailing in also make a huge difference – because long shore rips and white water are far more unpredictable than flat un-moving water.

The key in some wave conditions is to tack into an oncoming slope – because the upward push of the wave counteracts your weight on the nose as you nip round.
    Now back in the UK.

i reckon Naomi's summary is spot on.

the only thing i'd add is that while being quick with your feet is obviously good, it's better to be precise. i find on my weaker side, if i think about being quick i throw myself round and go off backwards. if i focus on taking the minimum number of steps (cribbys - the twist?), i can go round fairly slowly, keep my weight centred and make it.

step 1 - front foot in front of and wrapping round mast foot in advance of tack
    step 2 - when you go, bring back foot infront of front foot pointing opposite direction, both centred across board
    step 3 - move old front foot down on new side

3 precise steps, not lots of shuffling.

edit - when i say fairly slowly, i'm not saying you can hang around in frontof the mast - it's done in under a second but you could count the steps rather than just chucking yourself round.
    Last edited by copek; 28th June 2012 at 10:56 AM.

Tacks avoidance ... yep a good idea, but to paraphrase our Dear Leader, is it moral ?

Well here's a 'ting ... i know I'm not going to be popular, but personally I don't bother with tacking. It takes up far too much of the limited energy reserves that I have for wave riding, and I much prefer gybing. OK, if pushed I can do some kind of a tack maybe 30% of the time on my waveboard, but I can gybe something like 95%, and of those, probably over 50% are tasty. Carving through a turn, especially on a wave or swell is what I like doing.

OK, there are plenty of good reasons for tacking rather than gybing, but I reserve the right to say that I'm still not bothered (as per loops and all the other stuff that I'm supposed to be bothered about) So if there's any else like me out there, feel free to go against all the 'stuck on a plateau' guru speak, and all the other stuff that you're supposed to like doing (light wind freestyle anyone ?) and just go out, have fun, and do it your way.

ps by the way, I do pay my (Spanish) taxes, and I do think it's immoral to avoid paying.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Rod's description is spot on, but I think the main point here is to move your backhand forward like he says. I've seen loads of people trying to learn to tack whilst trying to keep the sail fully sheeted in, which simply doesn't work. If you think about it in wave sailing terms, when the pro's do a super slashy top turn their back hand is as far forward as possible because then you don't have pressure in the sail to stop you from turning. The tack is the exact same principle, if you let the sail sheet out then you don't have pressure in the sail and you can easily concentrate on carving the board because now you don't have to battle with the sail.

In my opinion with shortboard tacks you are much better trying to almost fall on top of your sail when you go round the otherside and then push out with your back hand. This offers you stability throughout the turn and also means that when it's not howling you can still complete your tack rather than throwing yourself around the otherside and hoping there's enough wind to keep you upright on the otherside.

Ha SB, some of the major reasons I want to learn to tack well are:

1: If it's stupid windy and I can't hope to gybe because it would involve supersonic speed and probably bouncing out, a tack would be infinitely less embarressing than a fielding.

2: I have noticed that being able to tack quickly and consistently and with style is more likely to get people pointing and whispering (is it a pro etc) than forward loops or backloops. Not that I want to be mistaken for someone who is better than I am, but pointing and whispering is infinitely preferably to pointing and laughing when it comes to observers :-)

Cheers guys n girls, I'll try heaps today.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Quote Originally Posted by copek View Post
    3 precise steps, not lots of shuffling.
    +1

@SB: I used to do the same but changed it completely this year. I just spent 2 entire days tacking only (inside tack was always kinda OK, outside tack close to impossible) to get my quotes close to 80% for the inside tack an 50% for the outside tack. If you nail them, it saves you a lot of energy, and you are indeed faster back into the waves. I realized that since these 2 days, I've been tacking way more often than gybing. Don't be lazy, tacking really pays off!