Thread: Boom extension

Boom extension

Hi, thinking of getting a second boom as my current one fits across 4 sails, but on the largest (7.8m Natural) its on full extension. I was planning on getting a boom thats 180 - 230 which would put extension just over halfway when used on the 7.8 Natural or would it be better to get a 200 - 250 which uses minimum extension but can only be used on this sail (not planning on getting a sail any larger than 7.8). Thanks

Go for the 180-230, so you can use on your other sails and potentially have two rigs on the go at the same time.
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

perfect thread to ask this question...

My 6.5 rigs to a range of 194-196 cm on the boom.

I have two booms- a 150-200 Aeron cheap aluminium ended MCT26 and a 200-250 Chinook Carbon

At the weekend I rigged on the Carbon boom and it seemed okay, despite having a little play in the clew. Would I have been better rigging on the Aeron at full extension?

My 6.5m wave/bump & jump sail is 1.94-1.96 depending on the wind strength, I use a 150-200 boom but mine is carbon. I think it would be worth trying it with the Ali boom, you would soon know if it had too much flex.
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

cheers Duncan, I'm planing on upgrading that boom at some point to another Chinook, after last saturday I plan to get far more use out of smaller kit in the future

On the 7.8 I would go for the larger boom on minimum extension......and the same would apply with the option between a boom that is slightly too big and one that is on max extension. Any ally boom on more than about 50% extension is going to flex more. That has an adverse effect on sail set but worse the one piece tail is no longer that effective in supporting the front end of the boom. The larger the boom the more the effect. I believe using too much extension especially on bigger sails accelerates wear and tear on the ally tubing leading ultimately to failure. It may be less economic but that is a price worth paying. It is also worth remembering that a boom of around 150 to 200 is likely to be used with a many other sails in a quiver as well so it is going to be well used.