Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Powerex masts for Simmer Icon?

We have heavily invested in Powerex RDM100 masts and they always worked well in our Simmer Visions.

We replaced our 5.0 2005 Simmer Vision with a 2010 Simmer Icon and this Icon needs a lot of force to downhaul it properly with a 4.0 RDM100 Powerex
    which results in a stiff sail and my girlfriend and my daughter are not able to rig their own sail.

We have 4 Powerex masts (370,2x400,430) and already bought a 4.0 2012 Icon, a 4.7 2010 Icon and a 2010 5.0 Icon.

We also will have to replace our 4.2 and 4.5 in the near future

Should I get other masts for our Icons or should I get other sails like a Simmer Mission?

I have 2010 Simmer Icons (4.0 to 5.9) and have been using Maverx masts for the last 18 months or so. They are great masts and rig really well and very easily with the Simmers.

I cannot recommend them enough.

Powerex masts are not what they used to be. The parent company closed the US factory and sold the brand name to China a couple of years ago.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Quote Originally Posted by Witchcraft View Post
    Powerex masts are not what they used to be. The parent company closed the US factory and sold the brand name to China a couple of years ago.
    That doesn't really matter to us because our powerex masts are all at least 5 years old... and we have 9 of them,4 in the Netherlands and 5 in South Africa...

Are our Powerex masts stiffer then Simmer masts or are the Icons sails that need a lot of downhaul ?
    Last edited by Sjaak; 5th July 2012 at 12:20 PM.

the 2010 icons are not super soft on the leech compared with a lot of other sails. thats why they don't have those mini leech battens - because the leech shouldn't be that loose on them. They can sail well with not that much downhaul. But it depends a bit on your weight and how powerfull you want the sail. I have used a 2010 icon with a powerex and I thought it was fine but then I am 95kg and don't mind a grunty sail. certainly the maverx masts will set the sails a bit softer compared to the simmer masts but I haven't done a direct comparison with the powerex.

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    1. I agee with Bouke on the newer Powerex made in China masts, I have heard they are not anything like the older 100% Utah made. and see you have the older masts.

2. Simmer state that their masts are constant curve, which can vary somewhat, depending on which end of the curve guide they are on, harder or softer CC. the PX are also. You may find a better mast curve for the Simmer sails but I feel the PX you have should work good to better

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

Quote Originally Posted by Sailrepair View Post
    the 2010 icons are not super soft on the leech compared with a lot of other sails. thats why they don't have those mini leech battens - because the leech shouldn't be that loose on them. They can sail well with not that much downhaul. But it depends a bit on your weight and how powerfull you want the sail. I have used a 2010 icon with a powerex and I thought it was fine but then I am 95kg and don't mind a grunty sail. certainly the maverx masts will set the sails a bit softer compared to the simmer masts but I haven't done a direct comparison with the powerex.
    This is a big issue with a lot of the newer sail designs. They are NOT supposed to have ludicrously loose leeches. It never ceases to amaze me that people (yes you know who you are) are cranking on ridiculous amounts of downhaul to get leeches on the newer Naish, Simmer and Goya sails loose down to the third or fourth batten when they are designed to be down to the second maximum and even then only show a moderate looseness, not the kind of horrible baggy thing of late 90s and 2000s NP stylee.
    Got an opinion? Great. Guess what, so's everyone else!