Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Wetsuit longevity

Ok, now first up, I am NOT trying to win 'the world's most boring thread' contest. But I realise this one will be up there.

Smooth skin wetsuits, how long should they last??? I have had one for just over a year and the shoulders are already breaking up. I have only worn it in this country and only once a week.

Is it right that it should already be crumbling away? Seems awfully quick to me.

RB

nice house with horses, cats dogs, and bride. USA
    I just replaced mine ,similar with lots of smoothskin,
    less than 2 YO, the skin tears so very easy when going on or coming off.

think that weed and multi fin boards helped things along.

FWIW I got an ONeill Heat replacement.

K4 Fins 4Boards TRI-sails Sailrepair

See Oct 2010 thread, started when I was disgruntled by early wetsuit demise....
    search for...
    Winter wetsuit / durability / choice / value for money

Quote Originally Posted by Wavetrashed View Post
    See Oct 2010 thread, started when I was disgruntled by early wetsuit demise....
    search for...
    Winter wetsuit / durability / choice / value for money
    will do, cheers.
    I wonder, has anyone out there had any success sending one back and complaining about the short lifespan???

I have no idea why anyone would want a single lined suit, after wearing many double lined suits over the last 23 years I tried a single lined, once, and never again.
    Double lined tough, I don't think colder (I happily sail in snowy conditions with mine), and slip on and off. Main reason I hated single aside from the above reasons was it doesn't slide off easily.
    Double lined for me every time
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Past experience with single-lined suits has been much longer than 1 year, but I do take extra care hanging the suits up, use really wide hangers, and have devised a nifty 'crutch strap' for my new Xcel (DL) suit to take the weight of the lower part off the shoulders as they are only 2mm and looked to be stretching alarmingly on the hanger.

Wondering how old the neoprene of your suit was before you got it? I wouldn't buy an old-model suit as they are gently chemically decomposing all the time. Did it get a lot of UV either out on the water or where it was stored? I had an old O'Neill Evo SL that was 10 years old when it finally did what you describe, but in a different area, and only on one of the panels, strangely, so you may have a suit from a duff batch of neoprene... I'd take it back and see what they say.

On the single vs double issue, I must r-e-a-l-l-y feel the cold... got my first double lined summer suit this year and find the 2mm DL arms blooming freezing in anything above about 20 knots just due to wind evaporation, even when the sun's out and I've got a long sleeve thermal polypro on underneath, but then I do get a *lot* of dunkings, so there's almost constant evaporation. No problem with the 3mm rest-of-the-suit, but guess I have more of my own insulation there too .

loved all the things Arf raves about with the DL, fantastic fit, super-stretchy, so easy to get on and off, much more hard wearing, etc. but got put off going double for winter suits if I can't even hack the UK Summer in one . Do like the look of the Xcel Drylock fabric as a possible water-shedding solution, but a bit of a gamble to buy one in case it's not warm enough for me (sail all year in 5 / 4 smoothskin with polypro underneath and crucial Drylock hood and boots).
    Last edited by na-omi; 7th July 2012 at 11:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Arf View Post
    I have no idea why anyone would want a single lined suit, ....
    Didn't know who to quote first on this one. A rant is a rant, right?
    Lots of rants going on here tonight.

To answer Arf, a single lined suit is best for avoiding wind chill with windsurfing.
    So, if the seams are watertight, you can wear a thin, 2/3 mill suit in cold conditions and still feel warm.
    With a double-lined suit, you might need a mill or two more.

A double-lined suit of the same thickness will feel colder, whilst also flexing less, in terms of movement.
    The airflow over the fabric of the double-lined neoprene evaporates water which takes away the heat, more than it would for single-lined.

If a suits deteriorates fast then this is due to crap neoprene or else excessive sunlight exposure causing U/V deterioration

If you hang your suit out to dry in sunshine then it's probably your fault. If it just splits after a year of general use, where drying is outside but in shade, then you have cause for complaint.

Most suits I have had, die after about three years. If the shoulders split within one year, then I complain to the shop I bought it from.
    Now back in the UK.