Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

On Shore Wave Riding + Pozo

As always it is v impressive seeing how the pros ride pozo frontside and backside and thinking about our own on shore conditions at bracks

if 0 is directly on shore and 90 is true x shore we often get 20 degrees at bracks with really good days say 50 degrees

how on shore is the wind typically at pozo?

what is the minimum angle you need to angle before you can successfully go frontside?
    Kit For Sale

Photos prices etc. http://snapppersteve.blogspot.com/20...r-sale_29.html

All kit available to try from Brackelsham / East Wittering when windy

PM me if you are interested.

It's a trick question
    The beach at Pozo curves round, so it's more onshore down in the bunker than it is up at the top. That's why the judges were scoring wave-rides in the bunker higher as it's more technical.
    Also, although we measure the wind angle in relation to the beach, the angle to the wave is more important. I would start riding frontside at 0º to the wave, bearing in mind that the wave will channel the wind if it's big enough.

OK, nice question(s) for a thread. I haven't been to Pozo, but can comment on Cabezo (the venue for the next PWA wave event) and the harbour wall (where I usually do my wave riding).

Using your system *, in the prevailing NEly trade winds the normal angle at Cabezo is about 40 to 50 degrees whereas at the Wall it's more like 45 to 60 degrees (ie it's more cross shore at the Wall). This is why most people see Cabezo as a jumping spot. You can get a few turns at Cabezo, and they will be more radical than at the Wall because the waves are steeper and have more punch, and of course people like Danny Bruch and Alex Mussolini make it look easy, but for most average sailors it's much easier to go frontside dtl at the Wall.

There is also the issue of apparent wind (Basher's favourite subject, apparently). If the waves are big enough (eg Cabezo or Hove) then this effectively makes the wind more cross shore once you are riding them frontside.

Then you have backside riding. At places like Pozo and Cabezo, the backside riding must be some of the best anywhere. You see big backside airials and all the fancy moves like backside 360's etc. So the wave set-up and wind angle at these spots is ideal for big jumps, and radical backside moves, but frontside riding is very technical.

In terms of your Q: "what is the minimum angle you need to angle before you can successfully go frontside?" I would say that there probably is no minimum for someone good enough, as long as the waves are powerful enough.

* ps I think it's better to measure the wind angle relative to the shore, so then bolt on-shore is 90 degrees and dead cross-shore is zero (or 180). Cross-off would be a minus number, say -45 degrees, as opposed to say 135 on your system.

(pss I'll have a look for that recent pic of Ben Proffit very tweaked frontside turn at Pozo, very nice illustration of the technique needed).
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 8th July 2012 at 10:09 AM.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

It varies so much because of apparent wind issues created by the wave power and water movements (currents).

So you can't just look at the day's wind angle on the beach – or on the wave – and say how easy it will be to go frontside. In practice the same angle would be good at one beach and not so good at another.

It does look very onshore at Pozo when they ride clew first so much.
    Now back in the UK.

a nice illustration of Pozo frontside technique:

Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Ben's photo shows how far I've got to go with dynamic clew first position...

In mitigation board is FSW hard to turn tight...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	dad 24 june 164.jpg 
Views:	109 
Size:	94.1 KB 
ID:	6607  
    Kit For Sale

Photos prices etc. http://snapppersteve.blogspot.com/20...r-sale_29.html

All kit available to try from Brackelsham / East Wittering when windy

PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by snappersteve View Post
    Ben's photo shows how far I've got to go with dynamic clew first position...

In mitigation board is FSW hard to turn tight...
    for your RRD it will be very hard,
    Ben has got a quad