Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    I find anything from 45 degrees (cross on) becomes relatively ok, even as an amateur riding single fin wave boards. As basher says though, you need to keep your board speed up which helps with the apparent wind.

45 to 30 degrees is sometimes doable for short sections when I see a good point to bash.
    Beyond 30 degrees so coming towards straight onshore is very tough to achieve.
    That's where a multi fin board really comes into its own, helping you keep the drive up.
    Maybe time to invest!
    Pk

Quote Originally Posted by Silicon Beach View Post
    well yes there is a bit of difference between those two pics but good on ya for posting yours. And yes, a FSW doesn't help for sure (unless you get a Chakra of course ). I found that my frontside turns improved massively when i changed from a single fin. Both my boards will turn really tight to get back at the wave, but still keep some speed when in the switch-stance clew-first position. It also helped a lot to get coaching tips from people like the OTC crew (thanks Adam and Ben) immediately after a session when I've been sailing with them. The main tip was to twist a lot at the hips - point the inside hip back at the wave, open the sail a lot, push out with the back hand and straighten the arm and point it at the top of the wave where you want to hit.
    I've been trying this yesterday v windy average 30+ knots 3.5m on 68 quad

I can feel the board turning back up the wave as I move my hips across to the inside then the sail gets ripped out of my hands, I suppose that is better than being backwinded.

So what now?

have i turned too far ?

I think i need more speed and less wind?
    Last edited by snappersteve; 17th July 2012 at 01:05 AM.
    Kit For Sale

Photos prices etc. http://snapppersteve.blogspot.com/20...r-sale_29.html

All kit available to try from Brackelsham / East Wittering when windy

PM me if you are interested.

Quote Originally Posted by snappersteve View Post
    I've been trying this yesterday v windy average 30+ knots 3.5m on 68 quad

I can feel the board turning back up the wave as I move my hips across to the inside then the sail gets ripped out of my hands, I suppose that is better than being backwinded.

So what now?

have i turned too far ?

I think i need more speed and less wind?
    It's very unlikely that you've turned too far. More likely the opposite - ie that you haven't turned quickly and tightly enough. The problem is that the more over-powered you are, the harder it is to hold the rig open clew first. So unless you do a very snappy bottom turn (tighten up the turn with lots of back foot pressure straight after sheeting in and committing the rail by leaning forward), then you get caught shooting off downwind, desperately clinging onto the rig with all your strength as the wind tries to rip it out of your hands, and it's very hard to do a top turn from that position.

As you say the answer is partly more speed and/or less wind, and also to exaggerate what you're doing even more and commit even harder to the turn. Try to bottom turn as fast and tightly as possible to minimise the clew first time. Then come back at the wave as vertically as possible with the sail completely open and very twisted at the hips (as per the Ben P. pic in fact).

While I'm on this thread ... yesterday the wind dropped from manic 3.7m to comfortable 4.7m for my session, so I had the chance to work on style a bit more, instead of shear survival. I was trying to kick up a bit more spray in the top turns a al Scotty and Danny in the PWA event here, and so I'd welcome any tips.

Obviously it's again to do with committing harder to the top turn etc, but one thing that Ben said in his live commentary slightly confused me. It was to do with the timing of moving the back hand. I'm putting it down the boom for the first part of my bottom turn, but he was saying if you move it forward as you do the top turn it makes the top turn more explosive. Whereas I tend to move it half way through the bottom turn, more or less as I come back towards the wave. Any thoughts ?
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

I think throwing spray is less about the timing of moving your front hand and more about when you put the power on again. Put the power on early and you'll push the tail out, put the power on late and you'll get a nice carve with lots of spray.

A fascinating thread.
    I'm currenlly riding year 2009 Fanatic Freewave 86 and an RRD wave cult HC 75 (both single fins).
    What make/type board and fin configuration would be best for cross on wind frontside clew first waveriding?

All very much personal preference, especially when it comes to the number of fins. The key with onshore wave riding is maintaining your speed, so a board with a wider tail and/or flatter rocker can be beneficial. The flip-side of course is that they're not quite as settled in choppy conditions. I used to have a RRD WC 90 (single fin) which was really nice for onshore conditions. Nice forgiving rails and enough width in the tail to carry speed. I probably wouldn't rate it so highly now, though.

Quote Originally Posted by welshmike View Post
    A fascinating thread.
    I'm currenlly riding year 2009 Fanatic Freewave 86 and an RRD wave cult HC 75 (both single fins).
    What make/type board and fin configuration would be best for cross on wind frontside clew first waveriding?
    Hi Mike. I'd suggest to try a twin fin. Works best for me in small wind swell / x-on ... allows you to make very tight turns while keeping speed clew first. My RRD WaveTwin 82 is perfect for the waves here (ask Kelvin).

cheers,
    Richard.

ps maybe see you in el med one day ?
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.