Thread: Cam tuning

Lightbulb Cam tuning

No decent wind here on the south coast for a couple of days so I decided to spend some time checking my kit and seeing if I could sort out the cam rotation on my 7m Lightning. I also had the impression that top end stability was not as good on this sail recently.
    The cams would rotate perfectly on a light or moderate wind setting but both would stick on a high wind setting. Tush provide cam spacers with their Lightnings and I used a couple on my 7.8m from new so though I would see if using one or more resolved the issue on this sail. My thought was that at the max downhaul there was probably insufficient tension on the cams so one or two spacers may work. I started by putting one spacer in each cam........it seemed a little better but not perfect. I tried 2 spacers in the bottom cam...........that made it worse! At some stage during this process I also increased the tension in the 2 cam battens.....noting that I had not re adjusted any of the batten tensions since I first set up the sail from new. The sail is about 12 months old now so the luff tube etc are fully broken in.
    Next I removed both spacers from the bottom cam but left one spacer in the top cam. Hey presto...perfect rotation on all sets!
    So my assumption is that re-tensioning the cam battens actually did most to resolve the issue. The spacer in the upper cam is also helping since the mast curve is greater here than at the bottom cam.

I did exactly the same the other day on my 6.4m and 7.0m X15's, both spacers and batten tension to fine tune both.

The reason they were not quite right is that I changed my 460 last year and there must have been subtle differences between the old and new one.
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

If you are talking about the difference between the new C75 and the older Freewave/Freeride 75%, I have just changed my 400/430 and 460 to these newer masts and either the old masts were knackered or the new masts have a different bend curve.............I have had to change nearly all of my crib sheets of sail settings! I have also noticed I am getting a higher top end wind range with most of my sails.

This was 100% for old and new but same principle.
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03