Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Problem exiting carve gybe and rig flip

Hello all,

I have been a reader of the forum for quite a while, so thought I might try and tap into some of the free tuition!

I am having problems with the carve gybe. I really want to get this cracked this year. Basically it is the rig flip and exit I have problems with. When I flip the rig, it never falls into my hands or anywhere easy to catch; I have to do some mad scramble type manoeuvre just to grab hold of the boom. It always ends up being blown downwind (90 degrees from the board) where it is hard to catch hold of. I have read loads of technique about this + watched many hours of you tube videos and it is getting a bit annoying!

I try and enter with speed, sheet in hard, lean forwards, flip with force etc etc. I guess ‘trying’ isn’t quite the same as ‘doing’.

Anyway here is a sequence of three of my gybes. The third is actually most like my ‘normal’ gybe. I.e. I get round dry but not exactly stylishly!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8B1q0q2pls

This is a 130litre board with 6 metre NP fusion, although I also sail a 95L board with limited success.

Help appreciated if you can spare a second.

Cheers,

Tim.

Looks to me like your feet at flattening the board at the rig change, so effectively stopping the last bit of the turn. Most people can easily put pressure on their toes as they carve into the turn, but then forget to put pressure on their heels once they've shifted their feet. Harty's advice of imagining you're sitting back on a bar stool is a good one.
    Trying not to work too hard.

Looks like leaning back rather than keeping forward, killing the speed and this it all gets a bit wobbly.
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

Your problem is just as much in the entry. You sheet out before you even start the gybe. You can see this because you start bouncing around due to lack of MFP.

You need to stay sheeted in and accelerate onto a broad reach into the gybe. The faster you go in the easier it is, even if your brain is telling you the opposite!

You carve rather hard as soon as you initiate the gybe. It is better to gradually increase the pressure as it upsets your balance less. This way you keep your balance better, rather than suddenly increasing the centrifugal force. You could do with bending the knees more and keep the weight forward as well. It is difficult to see but I don't think you are putting your back hand down the boom either.

By going in fast, hand down the boom and sheeting in hard, bending the knees you get pulled by the rig into the correct position. Then during the carve the rig should be very light so you can just concentrate on the carve.

You then downwind take the pressure off the carve. You need to stay carving here, don't take off the pressure. Often if you don't go in fast enough you slow down, the rig powers up, which then pulls you off balance so it is impossible to keep your weight on the rail.

If you stay carving and releases the rig at approximately the right time it will flip round to the new position without you needing to do a whole lot.

So in summary, the most important thing to practice for now is going in faster, hand down boom and sheet in with the weight forward and knees bent. Try and get the feeling of the rig going light as this is pretty key to being able to do the rest. If you can find some very flat water then this is ideal to practice on as you won't feel as scared going into the gybe at full speed.

Once you get the rig light then you can concentrate all your attention on carving. The flip and foot change should come naturally after that!

Whilst all the advice so far is good and will definitely improve your gybes, no-one has addressed the main problem you have: the rig flip. In your comments you say: "I suspect I am flipping too late, not forceful enough and leaning the rig back" ... and yes, you're right, and this is why you're not making the first two and just about save the third one (compare the timing of the flip and how more upright the mast is in the 3rd one).

So here's my tips for a better rig flip:

• (the most important imo) get the rig round EARLY. Like probably about two seconds earlier than you think you should. Go into the gybe and shout NOW as soon as you can. Force yourself to do the rig flip. It will feel crazy, but very dynamic, and if you get the rig around you will be amazed to find yourself coming out planing, or at least with enough speed to complete the gybe.

• Make sure that you move the front hand RIGHT UP TO THE MAST - NEXT TO THE BOOM CLAMP before you flip the rig. The front hand acts like the hinge of a door. Imagine what would happen if the door hinges come away from the door frame at the point that you slam the door, eh ? Look again at your video ... you have that situation, no ?

• Finally, as you say: "not forceful enough ...". Indeed, give the boom a big push with the back hand as you flip it. Think of it as slamming a door shut. The rig then floats round and hey presto, you catch oit effortlessly, boom-to-boom.

• Last bit of advice: go on a coaching clinic somewhere with flat water and good wind. Carve gybes and especially the rig flip is a complex and subtle technique and can't really be learnt from a forum. For instance, the actual rig change is more of a SCOOP than a flip, but you need someone like Simon Bornhoft to explain what he means by that.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Oh yeah, for rig flipping and general clew first practice do loads of clew first beach/water starts. As SB says there is technique to the rig flip. However if you're going fast enough it's a lot easier and if you time it just right, you can let go with both hands and the rig will flip on its own.

I'm also on the learning path, but a couple of suggestions:
    - don't try to rotate rig, aim to exit your gybes clew first so you can focus on the othe parts first - once you've made it around clew first then you can rotate - but it's a good development to reduce the 50 things you need to be doing within 2 seconds.
    - when you do rotate, keep looking out of the turn, hand swings back - body stays low and outboard (as gutted says) and on the wobbly ones your body weight goes forwards to counter balance, then rig comes forwards, body goes back
    - big one for you - no boomshaka!! Do this one thing and your rig rotation will dramatically improve. Without it the rig has too much weight pulling you back.