Page 3 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 53 ... LastLast
    I think he's back home.. and yep given the chance i'll be jumping on it!
    www.facebook.com/k800ben
    www.thewetdream.co.uk

Sponsored by: Simmer Boards, Simmer sails, Simmer wetsuits... in fact all things Simmer.. O'shea clothing and Funsport

Well it's going to be interesting to hear what he eventually says. I might well be wrong about this (and I can't be arsed to search it out), but I do seem to remember Ola once saying something about how there is a definite minimum length for a windsurf board, below which you don't gain anything, and I seem to re-call that he put it at about 220 cm ... but perhaps I've got that wrong.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

I will speak in time. (But I recall posting some plan shape pics of it already before for those who like to search.)

But to SB. I can't imagine ever having said any such thing. I could perhaps stretch as far as saying 0 is the minimal length but for us mathematicians even negative length is perfectly natural. So the shortest possible board would then be minus infinity.

Until I have some more time to write:

Ola H.

– Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

It looks a bit like a shortcutted classic Starboard Fish from the PRE evo times.
    That board didnt work for me but the idea is very interesting for a biggest board in smallish (sub 2m) waves.
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Yeah, VERY similar outline, from a distance. The Starfish is over 20 cms longer though...
    That alone might be they will not sail exactly the same...
    Ola H.

– Simmer Style Boards and Sails –

Quote Originally Posted by Ola H. View Post
    Yeah, VERY similar outline, from a distance. The Starfish is over 20 cms longer though...
    That alone might be they will not sail exactly the same...
    The main difference will probably be in the fins and toe-in.......
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

There is indeed a minimum length for a windsurf board.

(And Ola, you did indeed once say so.)

Not sure what that minimum length is though.

I remember, not so very long ago, that people were shocked by a board just 2.45m long.
    Back then, people's fears were expressed in terms of "the boom hanging out the back too far".

The Starboard Fish came a lot later. I tested it for Windsurf mag and can admit now I didn't understand it, at the time. But any surfer today knows what a modern fish is, and they too have got shorter (the boards, not the surfers).

And I suppose there must indeed be some minimum waterline length for any windsurf board – that still needs to overtake its own bow wave to rise onto the plane.

Once planing however, or just on a wave, you can go shorter, but the 'getting going' has problems.

This whole issue is about 'when is windsurfing windsurfing' and 'when is a windsurf board really a surfboard with a sail attached'?

(Think: body board)
    Last edited by basher; 4th September 2012 at 09:21 PM.
    Now back in the UK.