Page 4 of 73 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 54 ... LastLast
    Also the issue of being able to sail off the plane, which is inevitable in any cross off conditions (but not in cross on).
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

If I said so I was probably drunk. Or I was lying.

In fact Basher, your reasoning is rather an argument that there is no fixed minimum length. Suppose you think you have found it and then you make your board 1mm shorter?

It's like saying that there is an absolute maximum number of heads in a row that is possible when tossing a coin. Of course, 100 in a row seem pretty unlikely. But still possible.

So if I did say 220 as a minimum at some time, this was foolish. At any point in time it is only reasonable to say what is perhaps the shortest that may sense given the current status of sails, fins, conceivable ideas of shapes and riding trends. For example, I don't think I could design a very good 60" (183cm) windsurf board give the current state of things. But who knows how things will look in ten years?

In any case, This board is 210 and I don't think a 210 board would have been that good in 2002. But over the last ten years a whole bunch of things happened that now makes it easy to make a 220 board that feels just normal and not short at all. So incorporating all these things, pushing towards the tangents a bit and add some new things, 210cm is not a big step.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

I should add, ahem, that I don't really care.

Let's try a 2m board and see if it works.
    Now back in the UK.

...reminds me of some of the WA shapes ive seen on the web...stone, nude etc
    http://pembswindsurfing.blogspot.com
    Thoughts, Stories and Exploits from a DTL duffer!

Now back in the UK.

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    I should add, ahem, that I don't really care.

Let's try a 2m board and see if it works.
    In some sense I don't care either. Not much point in going short just for the shortness (except that as a shaper you might actually learn something from it). But what lead me to the presently discussed design was some behavior in the top turn that I was there on almost all boards and that I attributed, at least in part, to the often exaggerated outline curve behind the strap + the dilemma of wanting high tail kick for smooth carving and low tail kick for low drag. I was tempted to make a version of Kaulis straight tailed fish tail board, but then I did some thinking and came up with this cut off tail and some fin positioning/fin choice ideas instead. We'll see how it works. Perhaps just something for the bin, who knows.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    This whole issue is about 'when is windsurfing windsurfing' and 'when is a windsurf board really a surfboard with a sail attached'?...
    I may be mis-remembering an anecdotal history of windsurfing I heard somewhere, but didn't the first short boards emanate from surfboards with a sail attached?