Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 61 ... LastLast

google translate of Klaas Vogets explanation:

"Hey guys, here are indeed a lot of theories floating around about our new Stubby. Maybe my post helps even your bets to clarify;-) It is a completely new concept for us, the shape has not anything to do with the Triwave, nor do we have the idea of a simmer / Stone (which are wider to some ), but were rather inspired from surfing. Each of our prototype was built in Portugal (the first was red, each other just has a Triwave or quad decor missed - what there was just ... The main difference is a straighter outline (in the center of the board, it is thinner than a Triwave / Quad same volume size, nose and tail, it is much wider - one would saw off a normal board to this length, it would be in the center too broad and nose and tail still slim) The bottom curve is also new..
    The Boards have super sliding properties, good top speed and control and run extremely good height. The straight rails give it a very good guide for wave riding. We have tested in the past few weeks, the final versions much everyone who has tried the boards was thrilled. So before the Stubby is written off completely here, you should probably wait a bit and try one when it comes on the market in the spring. Our test team loves the part!
    Regards, Klaas"

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_3074.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	11287
    Last edited by chrispavlo; 18th December 2014 at 12:10 PM.

The Stubby concept is an interesting one for windsurfing as it is taking off for SUP surfing which is where some of the inspiration might come from. I have a Deep Minion 7'4 x 27.75" @104L SUP which is 1' shorter and 1" narrower than conventional surf SUPs. It looks like a wakeboard and it surfs like a windsurfing waveboard as it so fast and loose. I look at it and want to put a mast insert in it and sail it as the concept might offer something new for wavesailing?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Minion at Waipu.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	96.8 KB 
ID:	11288
    Last edited by Stev-0; 19th December 2014 at 06:22 AM.

Steve, how is it working/paddling in less perfect conditions?
    Lets say can,t windsurf but already a bit windy and choppy?
    188x92kg 43y old, Supper/Windsurfer.

Witchcraft Flextail 104l + Witchcraft V4 86l HDD

2016/17 Hotsails KS3: 5.5+5.2+4.9+4.6+4.0+3.4 Ultra + Kauli + CAAS masts, AL360+ TL cont@ct booms lots of fins.

SUP Starboard 2015 Airborne 8.8x31.5x123l / Pro8.5x29x112l / Race14x25 / 2012 AST Coastrunner 14x28 / Gong9.4x29x135 Freak

Pretty good actually! I was out on it in Taranaki, NZ and it was a nice head high reef break and with a 12 knots side-shore and it was ok for stability. I went in to get my wavesailing gear so it was less than perfect for SUP. I do wonder if this concept could work for windsurfing. I love my Starboard Black Box so this 'Vanguard' surfboard style concept might have a place in the quiver come 2016...

Sheffield sailing wherever there's wind and waves
    It is interesting that Fanatic have not gone that radical on length but kept the Vanguard outline. The final lengths CPO mentions are longer than that quoted in the Boards annual so they have obviously scaled back and are now no shorter that the frugals.

I have a new supershort moo on the way in the new year. Jon and myself discussed outlines at length but are going for a conventional nose outline despite the very short length and are packing in volume through added width (but not too much). My 100ish litre 215cm mootant is very good on the wave and pretty normal to sail in general so I see no reason why we won't see more of these short shapes. Even bosty (who must be the long lost half brother of BWD) normally sails very long 20 year old boards and he likes the mootant.
    Support British - Moo Custom, 5 Oceans and K4 fins

Cheeky sod! 5 or 6 year old, 230cm long boards maybe. And I’ve never even sailed a JP FSW.

From my very limit experience of the Mootant, I struggled with nose-dive off the plane and I’m not convinced by standing legs akimbo right on the back of the board, but it seemed to work okay when going (if you keep weight off that back foot) and also turning on a wave. Would I swap it for my 2008 Fanatic Allwave 92? Not a chance
    Last edited by bosty; 19th December 2014 at 02:53 PM.