Page 6 of 73 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 16 56 ... LastLast
    Sheffield sailing wherever there's wind and waves
    Bouke

In your last post you mention a new (board?) range. Any more info? I might have missed something on this on another thread.

Cheers

Tony

Quote Originally Posted by tjdodd View Post
    Bouke

In your last post you mention a new (board?) range. Any more info? I might have missed something on this on another thread.

Cheers

Tony
    No, you havent missed anything. Soon.
    Bouke
    Witchcraft Windsurfing Fuerteventura

Quote Originally Posted by na-omi View Post
    I may be mis-remembering an anecdotal history of windsurfing I heard somewhere, but didn't the first short boards emanate from surfboards with a sail attached?
    Quote Originally Posted by basher View Post
    Yes, and they were as long as a bus.
    But windsurf boards, like surf boards, have got a lot shorter since. And lighter.
    I had some converted surfboards that were all under 8ft (around 7ft 6" - 2.28m and 7ft 2.13m) that I sailed in the speedtrials in Portland in 1983 (I think - did about 23knots). I also used to sail them at Overcombe in small waves.
    Subsequently Nick Hoare who did the conversions started Windtek customs (making boards for Penny Way, Stuart Sawyer and a host of others) - Although the customs were around 260cm (and considerably shorter than the 290 production boards at the time, it's only now that we are getting down to those lengths - 30 years later.
    Last edited by rod; 8th September 2012 at 12:41 PM.
    http://forwards4cowards.blogspot.com/ a blog about looping

UPDATED Feb 2016

But none of those had tongue steering?

(image cortesy of Kulingvarning.nu)
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

Quote Originally Posted by Ola H. View Post
    Despite the bad conditions I did a bit of fin testing. Unfortunately, the front boxes were placed at the wrong angle by the builder (bahhh, I now have to reposition them myself) with only a hunch of toe in. I still tried it at first in quad and tri fin mode (13cm front fins and 2x11 or 14 rear fins). It worked pretty well but I didn't really "connect" with it in the turn. But then I put in a set of 2 degree 12cm K4 asym protos with flat insides that I modified the leading edge of a bit. And this was light night and day, really smoothing out the turn entry and suddenly the board felt very natural and easy. I think this is in part due to a better toe in and in part also due to the fin design.
    then i wasn't so far off in my guess that it would be 2012:
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispavlo View Post
    - all four fins are similar size, asymmetrical and toed-in
    why 2012 model?
    that's the first estimated date when some others will keep up
    with compareable quad fin designs (see above ;-)
    Last edited by chrispavlo; 8th September 2012 at 12:18 PM.

Except that the above combo was a tri fin, Chris....

And so far I can't say if the improvement in this case was due to getting the toe in in the right range or due to the asym profile. I have plenty of earlier test with asym profiles of different kinds when it has now worked as well as a corresponding sym profile. And regarding the "similar size", I have been using that for years now. It is just that I still don't think it is something "for all". Different, not better. If anything, It's getting more and more clear to me what the different fin setup styles really do offer in terms of advantages. Tri vs big front fin quad, big front fin quad vs small front fin quad etc. The sweet spot for each of those setups are starting to emerge, I'd say.
    Ola H.

Simmer Style Boards and Sails

well, my main point was about what is/will be available on the market - and the mentioned K4's seem to come available
    for 'normal' customers within this year 2012.

in a config with 'surf like' sidefins (e.g. >=11.5cm and asym profiled) the backfins are just a variation - quad or thruster,
    as i wanted to explain some time ago
    Quote Originally Posted by chrispavlo View Post
    finally a thread about toe-in and profiles of sidefins!!
    this thread is solely about front/sidefins!!!
    in surf terms centre fin = symmetrical fin
    all surfboard/SUP sidefins are in fact asymmetrical.
    other as the title may suggest it both covers boards with
    center backfins (trifin/thruster) and with twin backfins (quad)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0748.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	98.0 KB 
ID:	6914