Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

what to do about my knackered hands. scar tissue from too much windsurfing

Hey guys,

I'm having problems tearing my hands up every time I sail at the moment and hoped I might be able to get some advice on what to do about it.

I got back into windsurfing this year after quite a bit of time off the water (living in london, office job etc). We went to Vass in the summer and had an epic week. Thanks to the soft hands I wore away the skin in the normal place where your fingers meet your palm. This had happened before but never quite so deep.

They healed quickly after the trip but the problem I have is it seems to have just healed with very soft scar tissue. Every time I go sailing I am causing skin damage and wearing deep holes in my hands again. I'm pretty sure I'm doing everything OK with regards to committing to the harness, boom grip isn't too old/rough etc.

I'm thinking of going away for a months windsurfing in Jan so should probably try and get it sorted now, otherwise I'll last about 3 days!

Any advice would be really appreciated. Thanks!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	palm.jpg 
Views:	107 
Size:	84.5 KB 
ID:	7377

Use lots of moisturizer - and possibly gloves as well.
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

Super Moderator
    Hi procab,

there's a product called Climb On which was recommended to myself by a fellow windsurfer, I've since used it myself and agree it really is great. Take a look http://www.climbonproducts.com/

Thanks for your replies! I am taking a look at the Climb On stuff now. Excuse my ignorance as I've got no idea about skincare but I imagined I'd be trying to harden my hands rather than using moisturising products?

Thanks again

Hardening is fine - it's what happens through repeated sailing. Unfortunately most of the 'hardening shortcuts' - like surgical spirit etc, also dry the hands out, so the skin tends to split and end up a lot worse. Moisturising them makes them more supple, less likely to damage and faster to heal.

TwoFish swears by some stuff created by New England Farmers called Bag Balm - I bought a tin of it on the internet and it's really good - just a bit of a hassle waiting for it to arrive from the US.
    Tacking is the new gybing.....

You don't want hardened callouses, they stick out and get ripped off very easily.
    Let the hand heal, file down the callous with a pumice stone daily, you want a flat landscape, and use apply nuetragena/bag balm/climby stuff 4 or 5 times a day.

Moisteriser doesn't make your hands soft, it makes the skin supple - less easy to tear.

Also get the right length lines for you, too short or too long and your hands suffer. Don't ask anyone what the right length is, you need to determine this yourself.

I have frequent hand problems too, so I've learnt quite a bit about this.

* -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

I suffer from fissures due to drying skin and the best treatment by a mile has been lanolin - I tried Bag Balm, but found it too greasy feeling and medicinal smelling. The Lanolin softens the skin, doesn't smell and as long as applied sparingly it really doesn't feel at all greasy. TBH, it has been the only thing that has really managed to allow the fissures to heal.

The only place I found that sells it is Romney Marsh Wools (you can mail order direct). The pot is small but lasts for ages - again, don't overdo it.
    My Flickr Windsurf collection: http://www.flickr.com/photos/bsideth...7622592103903/
    Hayling Windsurf & Kitesurf Photographers: http://www.flickr.com/groups/1993863@N23/