Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    I wish I had taken pics of Graham's hands in El Tur. Think of 2 dropped pizzas and you are coming close to what they looked like.
    Never trust a man who doesn't like cats. -
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

Surgical spirit works for me - I guess we are all different!

wow...your hands do look soft!! I agree a good moisturiser is a good plan but I am slightly surprised at the location of your injury. It is more normal to get calouses on the top of your palm rather than at the junction of your finger to the palm so i wonder if you have a weakness there perhaps caused by wearing a ring? It is unlikely your hands are going to be tough enough by January so I would suggest you get some elastoplast ( on a roll) to wrap around your palms and in/out of the finger junctions. This is more likely to provide protection than gloves. The other thing to take with you on holiday is some light grade glass paper. Rental kit booms often have grip damaged by transfer of sun cream from peoples hands....the grip provides...no grip...and it can destroy your hands in no time. Obviously out of sight of the rental outlet, use the glass paper to clean up the areas of the boom either side of the harness lines.

Those are my hands, MB! (if you were referring to the very torn up ones).

Procab - for reference, those torn up hands in my pic (they look extra soft as I've just got out the shower when I took the pic) were healed and I was sailing again 5 days later.

It's important - when they get torn up like that - to cut the jutting out thick skin bits around the crater, turning the jagged cliffs into the smoothest possible valley. This allows re-growing skin to sorta bond uniformly without any hard points underneath, which will just rip again. I use a an art, side cutters and a nail clipper, then pumice rock to sand it down.

Then wash it, apply iodine into the crater, scream and cry for 2 minutes, apply waterproof and leave it there for 24 hours. Then remove the plaster, wash it again, and let it heal uncovered. You'll be good to go in days.

Just be very careful at this point of the healing process to not drop a pair of longnosed pliers and instinctually try ad catch them again, with the pointy end spearing your half recovered crater, like I did.
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Quote Originally Posted by boxsterboy View Post
    For me too, but I normally mix it with coke as it really dries the throat out if you drink it neat
    * -Scourge of the Seven Seas-*

Quote Originally Posted by boxsterboy View Post
    With great advice from this forum, I have developed quite a successful regime.
    For a month or so before a trip, I use surgical spirit and lots of pull up type exercises to toughen the skin. Then on holiday, use moisturizer to limit/prevent the damage. This method is going to be tested in CT this year, as my arms only been a few weeks out of plaster, and the skin is soft as...

For moisturizer, I really like that climbers stuff that has been recommended on here (cant remember the name at the mo), just ordered some of that bag balm to try.
    BWA Tour Director

Quote Originally Posted by mikerb View Post
    ... I am slightly surprised at the location of your injury. It is more normal to get calouses on the top of your palm rather than at the junction of your finger to the palm so i wonder if you have a weakness there perhaps caused by wearing a ring? It is unlikely your hands are going to be tough enough by January ...
    That is exactly the location that everybody seems to get blisters (not calluses) in places with warm water, where people go on holiday for a week or two after a winter lay off. Habitues of El Yaque will be familiar with the Aloe vera plants that line the road side and how all the tops are broken off by windsurfers trying to heal their blisters. There are all sorts of old wives tales and snake oil remedies in such places but the real solution is to improve your technique so you are not gripping the boom too hard. You can get your skin to harden up in a few days. Peeing on your hands works but some people seem to get all squeamish about that. Patent snake greases like bag balm also work by waterproofing your hands to some degree and thus reducing the softening effect of water. Aloe vera is very effective but not in some dilute hand cream - you need to grow the plant (it's really easy, but a bit short notice for January!).
    Last edited by /Vico; 12th December 2012 at 10:01 AM.
    It is what it is.