Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Grip and Drive

Grip and Drive

We hear the terms 'grip' and 'drive' a lot with boards nowadays, but those terms seem to mean different things to different people. We've partly inherited them from surfing and surfboard design, and yet the loads on windsurf boards are often quite different.
    The term drive might also be used to describe a sail.

What do these terms mean for you?

In another thread, Witchcraft wrote:

Originally Posted by Witchcraft
    Grip and drive are a bit related but are not the same thing. Grip is if a board resists breaking out in a turn, drive is if a board keeps it speed well in a turn or even feels like it accelerates. Having the right amount of rocker is important for drive and even more so having enough t-t-t-toe-in. Without toe-in the inner fin will give grip but will also drag and resist.

Asle then asked:

Do you find that the style of sail (or trim) will effect grip and/or drive? Going back to the Surf test they also tested 4.7 sails in the latest mag and they have compared them in what the call "drive in turn". The Gaastra Manic 4.7 and Severne S-1 4.7 has least of this according to Surf and Goya Guru Pro 4.7, Gun Sails Blow 4.7, Neil Pryde Combat 4.7 and Point-7 Salt 4.8 have most of it, again according to Surf.
    Last edited by basher; 21st December 2012 at 11:37 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

And the question is?
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

Put that glass of Sherry down and try reading what is written.
    Last edited by basher; 21st December 2012 at 11:47 AM.
    Now back in the UK.

I think that, what board design is concerned, there is not much to add to what Bouke wrote. Just because you had a different understanding doesn't mean these terms were unclear to everyone. Grip as opposed to slip and drive as opposed to drag. Simple as that.

With regards to sails, I guess, drive is somehow the opposite of neutrality (or "off" as Surf magazin calls it), however, there are sails wich offer both with the right technique.

Where do I get the sherry?
    It is what it is.

I like the idea that grip is the opposite of slip.

But when we crank into a turn we are loading both the rail and fins and you get a response from both. The grip from the rails is inherent with the board design (rocker and rail shape) whereas the grip from the fins can be changed with fin size.
    Using smaller fins often means you have to weight the rail more in a turn and so some find that sort of set up more challenging to sail.

Drive is a more difficult concept. I'd say a board has good drive if the sailor can get more acceleration out of a manoeuvre. In other words, when cranking a turn, you can get more speed coming out than you had going in.
    This will again be down to fins and hull shape efficiency.
    I'm not sure I'd say drive is the opposite to drag as Florian does, because a board that seems draggy in a straight line might have a lot of drive on the wave face.
    Last edited by basher; 21st December 2012 at 12:15 PM.
    Now back in the UK.

I thought it was clear that we are only talking about drive and grip during turns. I think this is straightforward. Take your Evo as an example: I would (just accoring to the available reviews, haven't ridden the board myself) classify it as high drive, low grip. Makes perfect sense to me. And of course, you can alter grip and drive via fin configurations. Just ask CPO!