Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: The B Team

The B Team

2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Adam View Post
    Fantastic. Grey beards, duck gybes, Tushingham sails, and ancient Spartan semi-dry wetsuits. Who said windsurfing was uncool.
    It is what it is.

Astro Turf!? Luxury. In my day lake sailing in winter meant rigging up knee deep in goose poo. You youngsers today don't know how luck you are.

Wow, that brought back some memories We spent some very happy first few years of windsurfing at Brog back in the late 1980's / early 90's. In those days course racing was all the rage, and Brog had the best team in the country ... Chris Lovelock (Krakatoa boards), Mike Smith (Reflex Sails), Phil and Penny Tyler et al.

As BB says, the place has definitely gone up-market since then. No artificial grass in our day - it was indeed all mud, bricks and poo.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

Laying that Astroturf was a biatch of a job taking nearly 30 of us plus a JCB. Been there about 6 years now and is in need of renewal. Each roll weighed about 3 tons and the JCB that was used to position and unroll it was struggling somewhat. Worked really well but over the years all the sand holding it down in the water washed away so now bits of it below the waterline have begun to float and tear.

The only costs involved are transport (the Astroturf gets regularly re-laid at various sports grounds so the firms are eager to give it away) and hiring a JCB to position and unroll it. The JCB was from a nice chap down the road and the transport was provided by a club member.

The poo occasionally remains when the geese try and graze on astro turf but there is a removable fence along the waters edge restricting their access. Geese are lazy buggers by nature (I suppose they need to save as much energy as possible for migration) and having to fly over a 1ft fence is too much effort so they go elsewhere.

Another Brog video from a few year back filmed with a mahoosive broadcast camera.

Last edited by Distinctly Average; 4th January 2013 at 01:27 PM.
    Never trust a man who doesn't like cats. -
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

Here is a still from a brog video shot in the late 80's with a flash of a forumite ex pat in the days of hair

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBeach.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	7484

Quote Originally Posted by surfymunky View Post
    Here is a still from a brog video shot in the late 80's with a flash of a forumite ex pat in the days of hair

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SBeach.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	7484
    you're kidding ... is that me ? blimey !
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.