Page 1 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T- referendum

O/T- referendum

So then, what do people think about that then... in or out? Reality of actually delivering a changed EU superstructure? Absolutely hypothetical rhetoric to prevent seepage to UKIP? Pointless as everyone knows Ed Milliband will landslide the next GE anyway ?

Ha ha, one for the Tories. Party of business, but we hate foreigners. What to do? Ah, I know, ride the coat tails of the US. Then that bloke the other day said, "why don't you go and play with those nice foreign kids over there" and we realised that uncle Sam doesn't actually want the snotty kid from the UK hanging out with him. I blame the Poles. Hang on, aren't they the hard working ones kicking our overpaid "hmmm, some right cowboys did this job. I can come round and take a look Friday week, but I can't promise anything" tradesmen up the jacksie.

Just saying ....
    It is what it is.

I'm really curious what you lot have to say about this topic. For us continental guys, the idea that the UK might withdraw from the EU appears just plain wrong, just like independence for Catalunia. In a world where China and India emerge as new global powers, the only way for European countries to remain somewhat meaningful entities is to form a stron union. Or do you think the City makes you sort of part of the US so that you don't need the EU?

I'd rather not have a referendum. Most people (including me) don't understand the consequences well enough to make an informed decision so they shouldn't be deciding. They'll be voting based on their pre-conceived prejudices or which side of the vote does the best PR campaign. Pointless. Just like a general election . I'm not sure how I will vote. It depends on the question!

Its a ploy to stop UKIP seepage, it wont work, but at least they are giving the electorate the choice (not that the electorate knows the answer). It is also a play on anti-EU feeling to expose Lab & Lib desire to join Euro.

Coalition governments are inevitably weak, and this one is no exception. Libs wont call it a day though as they are still punch-drunk on the power.

Quote Originally Posted by boards_Florian View Post
    Or do you think the City makes you sort of part of the US so that you don't need the EU?
    Its nothing to do with the US. What a lot of people here dont like is having our democratically elected government over-ruled by a bunch of un-elected Eurocrats. If more power was given back to us the problem might go away.

It's interesting that Farage has lobbied and successfully now achieved an 'in/out' agreement on the referendum. I would say that UKIP is building a bit of a head of steam, especially in traditional working class Tory voting households.

http://ukip.org/page/a-referendum-stitchup

Personally I'm keeping my decision to nearer the time and far be it for me to praise a politician, but I do agree that Cameron needs to present a real choice, as currently without a renegotiation away from fiscal and political union, I would opt out and suffer the consequences; purely to limit the imbalance in the labour exchange and reduce our exposure from future/potential Euro bailouts.
    Last edited by jwlbrace; 23rd January 2013 at 09:50 AM.