Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Actually, if you read the report from today and the reason behind this post you will see that all reported incidents show up. In this case Mr T (you have to laugh at that bit) had indiscretions (he nicked a bike) showing up from when he was 11.

It is the whole premise of guilty until proven innocent that I object too. And have we seen a reduction in child related crimes since this was introduced? Not in the slightest. On the whole these sorts of crimes are committed by people known to the victim, often a family member. The big press grabbing cases of gangs are just bunches of nasty Ba'stards who would not have a CRB check anyway.

Then we have the numerous situations where employers use the CRB check in ways it was not intended.

There have to be other ways to protect our children other than this kind of legislation.

Oh, and I am not stupid. I know you cannot fail a CRB check. I have them regularly enough and beyond.
    Never trust a man who doesn't like cats. -
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

The poor bloke is held back in life for stealing a bike in his youth, but Jimmy savlon gets away with abuse for 40 bloody years.

Quote Originally Posted by Distinctly Average View Post
    Actually, if you read the report from today and the reason behind this post you will see that all reported incidents show up. In this case Mr T (you have to laugh at that bit) had indiscretions (he nicked a bike) showing up from when he was 11.

It is the whole premise of guilty until proven innocent that I object too. And have we seen a reduction in child related crimes since this was introduced? Not in the slightest. On the whole these sorts of crimes are committed by people known to the victim, often a family member. The big press grabbing cases of gangs are just bunches of nasty Ba'stards who would not have a CRB check anyway.

Then we have the numerous situations where employers use the CRB check in ways it was not intended.

There have to be other ways to protect our children other than this kind of legislation.

Oh, and I am not stupid. I know you cannot fail a CRB check. I have them regularly enough and beyond.
    Leaving aside the fact that anybody who nicks a bike should be sentenced under the "life means life" tenet, there are people who volunteer for swimming clubs and the like who have been known to pop up many years down the line after a conviction and it would be remiss if a check on a conviction wasn't possible. I'm not sure how the rehabilitation of offenders act applies (normally a conviction is spent after ten years).
    It is what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyDamp View Post
    I'd be amazed if this is true and know for a fact of CRBs where youth incidents do not show.

They do after they are caught and it stops them re-offending and a lot of them do try and do it again.

I see people filtered by CRB every week it needs to be there, believe me.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-21245308

As you can see, a crime at age 11 shows up. And with CRB checks the rehabilitation of offenders act doesn't count. While the convictions are "Spent" they remain visible.

And yes, people are filtered by it. But as I said, these crimes are rarely committed by those that go through these checks. While people may be getting checked are they not just going to find different route for their vile crimes? Figures show the rate has not reduced nor has the level of re-offending.

Surely it would be cheaper and better to have a simple mark taken from VISOR placed on an individuals NI and Tax code. This could be checked very quickly by any potential employer and if the mark shows then the employer can insist on the full check. If no mark is present then they could be considered "Safe" as far as that can possibly go.
    Last edited by Distinctly Average; 29th January 2013 at 03:53 PM.
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

How do the checks work? Have you actually seen the figures? All they do is move the offenders down a different route whilst annoying the innocent. Not suggesting we should not have some sort of check but the entire ethos of the current system is flawed and need re-thinking.
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

Presumably the discrimination your upset about would be far worse if an NI number had an addition saying an individual had had a conviction. At least under the current set up only people applying for 'sensitive' positions are CRB checked. Marking some ones NI or equivalent would mean every new employer in every walk of life would be aware of past indescretions/serious crimes and the situation would be much worse. It would make more sense to crack down on idiots who aren't using interpreting/using the CRB check data correctly. From Mrs Talls experence at schools there are sadly a lot of people out there who aren't fit to own a gold fish let alone have children or work with them.

CRB checking for work in schools, youth clubs etc seems a sensible thing to do. It doesn't pick up on the dodgy parents, family friends and relatives who are responsible for most harm, but it should stop most undesirables getting into positions of trust.

Quote Originally Posted by TallJames View Post
    Marking some ones NI or equivalent would mean every new employer in every walk of life would be aware of past indescretions/serious crimes and the situation would be much worse.
    Not talking about those who got nicked for the odd spliff when they were 17, I am talking those who are on VISOR only. Simple to check and harder to abuse.
    www.windsurf.me.uk.