Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Quote Originally Posted by SlightlyDamp View Post
    The exceptional cases where the system get misued are being sensationalised IMO.
    Problem is there are lots of cases. I know a chap who got into a little spliff related bother at 17 whilst at college. Years later he was running a local footy team but because of various rules and grants they had to setup a committee and all had to be CRB checked. He is no longer involved in the club which collapsed after he was forced out due to the CRB. This sort of thing maybe to a lesser level is going on all the time and it is this that needs to be stopped. Spent convictions should not be flagged up unless they are on VISOR. Currently that is not the case and that is what is wrong.
    Never trust a man who doesn't like cats. -
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

BBC hamming it up a bit there.
    Read the article. It is very clearly reported. The case was taken to the court of appeal, the master of the Rolls has passed judgement and the government is going to appeal. The case seems to revolve around the fact that because the position involved kids a CRB check was called for and it revealed a police warning that would not have had to have been disclosed if no CRB was involved. As the offence was not relevant to a risk with his working with children it seems to be wrong. Simple solution would be for a CRB check to be limited to relevant offences, which is what was being said by the master of the rolls as far as I could see.
    It is what it is.

"You can't argue that something you did when you were 11 years old will blight you for the rest of your life."

Really?, it was a part time job that a 17 year old was applying for.

Hardly blighting the rest of his life is it!
    So what happens next? does the same 17 year old have to worry that for the rest of his life he will have to go through the same again and again? What this judge has done is hopefully put in motion a change that will stop this garbage of guilty until proven innocent to bed and herald in a system that only reveals information relevant.
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

DA you cant fail a CRB.

If you got caught smoking a spliff when you were 18 and it appears (incidently I don't think youth convictions even show up) its up to the discretion of the employer/organisation whether it prevents you getting a job/helping out.

If you saw some of the stuff that comes up on people that apply though the company I work for you would be amazed and very grateful for your kids that CRB exists.

Data Protection laws should prevent a CRB for a sports club from being disclosed to 3rd parties so there should be no worries on it affecting income.

It shouldn't put people off applying to help out and if they refuse you because of a minor indiscretion, they are obviously a bunch of c***s and not worth working with anyway.

So.....care to enlighten us on your mis-spent youth?
    +1

We CRB'd one of our employees to protect vulnerable clients and he was on a suspended sentence!

Its not just about protecting kiddies, but vulnerable adults and the elderly.
    New Blog

Looking for: 400 mast
    Selling: - Wordpress powered blog. Approx 2800 hits / 200 visitors a day. Ideal for generating traffic to your Windsurf or SUP business or generating commissions through eBay, Google or Amazon, etc. http://www.salinated.co.uk - dont have time to maintain so reasonable offers of a few hundred quid or trade some windsurf gear.

But that was a current sentence I presume, not a spent one.

With around 20% of men in the UK having some sort of record employers will need to employ those with convictions. Problem come with the Rehabilitation of offenders act. If you have a "Spent" conviction then you can legally anser in a job application that you have no convictions. Then if a CRB check later on, maybe years later says different then will your employer trust you based on how you have been over those years or will they sack you? Not sure if I would sack someone, that would depend on the conviction but it would certainly place a lot of doubt in my mind.

P.S. Love the ebay classifieds listing on salinated. Great work.
    Last edited by Distinctly Average; 29th January 2013 at 08:06 PM.
    www.windsurf.me.uk.

Maybe I'm not reading this right, but if something comes up on a CRB - then you have been proven guilty, surely. Can you really commit a crime and then it just get forgotten about - what sort of message is that?

If you do have a few items on your CRB, and you want a career where you are CRB checked, then actually is that career for you?

If schools didn't have CRB checks then the floodgates would open for all sorts of people to get close too, and play on the vulnerability and easily influenced youngsters.

However, I admit, I don't know as much about it as Distinctly Average. I think it is important though that schools have a way they can have a compulsory check on an employees criminal background. Whether it is from being caught with a spliff to whatever. Then at least the Head is a position to make an informed decision.

Quote Originally Posted by Distinctly Average View Post
    But that was a current sentence I presume, not a spent one.

With around 20% of men in the UK having some sort of record employers will need to employ those with convictions. Problem come with the Rehabilitation of offenders act. If you have a "Spent" conviction then you can legally anser in a job application that you have no convictions. Then if a CRB check later on, maybe years later says different then will your employer trust you based on how you have been over those years or will they sack you? Not sure if I would sack someone, that would depend on the conviction but it would certainly place a lot of doubt in my mind.
    Was current but we were pretty fair, and therefore didnt sack him, but had a responsibility to make sure he couldnt visit customers, handle money or cards, etc on clear understanding he is in last chance saloon.

Quote Originally Posted by Distinctly Average View Post
    P.S. Love the ebay classifieds listing on salinated. Great work.
    Thx, didnt realise it was still going. Up for sale for small fee or trade of windsurf kit if you're interested as no longer have time to maintain it.
    New Blog

Looking for: 400 mast
    Selling: - Wordpress powered blog. Approx 2800 hits / 200 visitors a day. Ideal for generating traffic to your Windsurf or SUP business or generating commissions through eBay, Google or Amazon, etc. http://www.salinated.co.uk - dont have time to maintain so reasonable offers of a few hundred quid or trade some windsurf gear.