Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

WindSUP - what size sail?

Had my new Exocet 10' SUP for a week now, enjoyed 3 good surfs on it so far this week... No wind here for the first time in months.

So, I will be using it for wave sailing in about 8-10 knots, when its just too little for the freestyle board.

What size sail should I be looking at. I thought smaller would mean easier surfing, but just not sure. I know a few of you have a lot more experience than I do, so thought I'd ask.
    Waiting for summer....

I would take the biggest sail you are comfortable with slinging around. This is not necessarily your biggest sail, but the size of sail you always wish it was windy enough to use. For most people that would be somewhere between 5m and 5.5m. Remember that you will not be trying to get planing (your SUP will probably plane no earlier than your waveboard as its shaped like a banana!), you just need enough power to get out through the waves and get upwind. You then want a sail that's light and maneuverable enough to be easy to pump, tack, waverride, uphaul etc.

10' sounds pretty big so expect to have to move your feet a lot to make any turns! I take a BIG step back and over to the rail with my backfoot for a bottom turn, sometimes even putting my front foot over to the inside rail as well, then a quick step across to the other side for the top turn. You might not look like levi siver, but you will have a massive smile on your face. Enjoy

Thanks BB, I was thinking of 5.3 for wavesailing. The board turns pretty well, I think that coming from a longboard surfing background really helps.

We've got good waves for learning at the moment, had nice waist high, but powerful groundswell waves this morning for my dawnie, same tomorrow and Sunday.
    Waiting for summer....

I would have thought 5.3m unless your as big as Galeforce 8, who uses a 5.8m Superfreak (2 middle battens soft).
    2018 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 03, B&J/Wave 02, SUP/WindSUP 00
    2017 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 12, B&J/Wave 09, SUP/WindSUP 01
    2016 Sessions: Speed/Slalom 20, B&J/Wave 23, SUP/WindSUP 03

I'm 5m Ezzy every time.
    "Surf it, Smell it, Enjoy it..."

I tried windSup-ing for the first time a few months ago in Mauritius and absolutely loved it ... which was good, because for most of the holiday it was all that was available. However, although the wind was light (in the range you describe - 5 to 10 knots) the waves were beautiful for windSup-ing - clean, long, and a nice size (about head).

I started on a big boat - 11 foot I think, but quickly moved down to the smaller, more surfy SUPs that they had - 9' 6" Fantatic Fly I think (but I wasn't paying too much attention, just grabbing the smallest I could find before the other rental clients bagged it).

Re sails ... i had my choice of all the hire sails (North), so I did try various sizes, and I ended up using a 5.6m Hero most of the time. When I tried smaller sails they were easier to throw around, uphaul etc but the 5.6m got me more waves by getting upwind into position quicker to compete in the line-up (there were surfers and SUPs being paddled as well as other windsurfers and kite-surfers).

Bigger sails were counter-productive, and didn't help much with catching more waves. But much smaller (eg gmac's 5m) weren't necessarily any better since once on a wave it's all very cruisy and relaxed. You're not doing the kind of turns you do on a wave-board, so I think you can actually be reasonably powered up (relatively speaking - i mean a 5.6m in 10 knots max is not exactly well powered). I also found that you need to be feeling some power in your the rig in order to help with catching waves, tacking, flare gybing, and uphauling (at least, with my technique it helps anyway).

So I would say that it depends on factors where you surf such as how crowded the line-up is, how powerful the waves are, how big / heavy the SUP, the direction of the wind etc but really just use whatever wave sails you already have in the range (5m to 6m). Peter Hart mainly used his 6m for instance, just because that was what he had rigged.
    Last edited by Silicon Beach; 1st February 2013 at 12:38 PM.
    -----------------------------
    Currently writing the World's first Windsurfing Novel: 'Too Close to the Wind' - watch this space!
    ps check out my musings from El Medano: Life on the Reef
    -----------------------------
    Boards: Quatro Supermini Thrusters: 94 & 85
    Sails: Severne Blades.

5.4 was the best on my Kona 9'5, no advantage in anything bigger, I kept it on a very low wind setting so that I got the most out of any wind there was. It was nice to be out without a harness and just keep it very simple.
    The Windsurfer Formally Known as JKRR - TWFKJKRR or "Him in the Red Shorts"